Pre-Purchase Question

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phanco

Hi everyone,

I am considering a PHEV as my next company car (moving from a Grand Scenic Diesel and considering another Scenic/Xtrail/PHEV...)

A few questions if I may ...

1. What is the genuine cost of nightly charging on a standard 15 amp socket (Mitsubishi say £1 to £1.20 flat to full)
2. What EV only mileage do you realistically achieve
3. I have read on here that motorway speed MPG (ie petrol only) is as low as 28MPG on reasonably long trips - is this true as its a bit crap!
4. How long is the standard mains charging cable ?

Any recommendations accepted gratefully !

Hi phanco,
From my experience I'd answer as follows:
1. Cost of charge- for me it is approx £1.10 for a charge but will depend on your electricity tariff
2. Realistic EV mileage for me is approx 20 miles, 25 at a push. Air con/ heater affects this.
3. Motorway MPG is approx 38mpg on long journeys (some days I travel approx 400 miles so I've been able to judge over good distance without charging, and also for first month I had no ability to charge at home). It will depend on your right foot though as I have also had 35 on long distances.
4. Standard charge cable length- not sure and never used it as I got a tethered 32 amp point installed instead.

Hope this helps

EV range and fuel consumption on motorways is very dependent on driving style.

EV range is dependent on both how fast you are driving and ambient temperature. The claimed 32 miles is just about possible, but only at low speeds in light traffic and warm weather. 20 to 25 miles is more realistic for the summer and driving above 50 mph in the middle of winter, it can come down to 15 miles.

Petrol consumption at a 50mph cruise can be as good as 43mpg, but it does increase quite rapidly as the speed goes up. If you have a heavy right foot and make a habit of driving at 80mph or faster, then you can get it as high as 30mpg or worse.

On the charge cost, if I understand it correctly the car won't let the battery drain out completely even if the dashboard indicator show it's empty. It will leave around 25 to 30% based on my experience.

So, the battery capacity is 12 kWh... 12*0.7 = 8.4kWh * £0.15 (let's say the unit cost of your electricity). That mean the cost of charging is..... :)

hehhe...

Thanks guys - food for thought before test drive next week

anything you woikd recommend i look st or try duting the test drive (i.e quirks or annoyances !)

Try fast acceleration, paddle regeneration, play with the MMCS, try ACC if you have it, charge button (as it's not your fuel), check folding the rear seats, try reversing using the camera, opening the rear door from inside and out, locking the car using key fob + door switch! unlocking using same, adjust the seat and steering wheel, try the radio, play with the sunroof, open the charging door and petrol filler cap, take the key out of the plastic cover.

That should save a few searches on here when you decide to buy the car and realise the manual is a pain! ;)

The satnav and phone integration are the things that attract most criticism, so look carefully at them. They are certainly not as good as they could be, but they do not annoy me as much as they seem to annoy others. Try entering your home address into the satnav and try finding your nearest McDonalds - that will give you an indication of the most clunky bits.

Please also have in mind, not only the cost savings, but also the great positive impact you have on the environmental, not burning any fosile fuel(as i hope you can charge with wind, solar or hydro energy)
I know you can put a finger in your neigbours eyes, ask them what they do for your kids, or grand kids survival on earth, imagine that fealing when you make your desission.

milkfloat said:
Hi phanco,
From my experience I'd answer as follows:
1. Cost of charge- for me it is approx £1.10 for a charge but will depend on your electricity tariff
2. Realistic EV mileage for me is approx 20 miles, 25 at a push. Air con/ heater affects this.
3. Motorway MPG is approx 38mpg on long journeys (some days I travel approx 400 miles so I've been able to judge over good distance without charging, and also for first month I had no ability to charge at home). It will depend on your right foot though as I have also had 35 on long distances.
4. Standard charge cable length- not sure and never used it as I got a tethered 32 amp point installed instead.

Hope this helps

Same!

The charging costs on mine range between 70p and £1.10 ish

I'm lucky to have solar pv and work from home. This means at least part of my charging costs are free. Do make sure you have easy access to charging though... You'll be charging frequently because of the limited 20 mile range. I can plug mine in on my drive which is ultra convenient, but if I had to park on the street it would be a pain and I'm not sure I'd bother.

Back