Prospective Buyer - Query on in motion charging.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jaapv said:
It is exceedingly simple: if the ICE is stationary the car has to start it up first to deliver full power and appears sluggish. If it happens to be idling the car is quick off the mark.add the tendency of the human mind to find spurious correlations and the conundrum is explained.

While that is certainly true, the example I quoted is something I do several times per week, every week since we took delivery of the car. This weekend, it behaved significantly differently for no obvious reason. I did note similar behaviour in the Prius on occasion - generally speaking if I climbed this hill with a reasonable level of charge in the battery, the engine revs would stay relatively low, but sometimes for no obvious reason the engine would fire up and scream - with most of the output going into the generator. The mechanics of the Outlander are, of course, significantly different and it is incapable of driving the wheels directly from the engine at low speeds whereas the Prius is able to split the power between the generator and the wheels at any speed.

Too many uncertain outside influences to draw conclusion. Minimal differences on the accelerator pedal, road condition wet or dry, wind direction and strength, speed, etc.

Back