Rear light cluster - replacement cost!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hypermiler

Ok, so if you read my disastrous "what I did to my Phev today" you will know that I need to sort out a busted rear light fitting. Turns out that the plastic "cover" isn't a cover at all, but part of one integral piece which is going to set me back a little under £300 fitted incl VAT. :shock: Apparently the rear lights are LEDs which makes the fitting that much more expensive - I was a bit surprised after all the discussions on here re replacing lights with LEDS, perhaps that is just the front ones...

My joy at finding I had only bashed the light in rather than the bodywork was short-lived - spraying a panel might not have cost a lot more!

Let that be a warning to all - parts for this car are looking like they are going to be on the pricey side! :(
Cheers
H

The fact that the lights are filled with LEDs does not make fitting any more expensive than conventional lights - it is purely the cost of the unit. Either way it is just a 10 minute fit.
LEDs are mainly installed for their extremely low current consumption- very important in an EV car.

My wife just reversed into a post. I can't believe how thin the plastic is. I too thought it was just a lens cover given how flimsy it is . Gutted to find out I'll have to change cluster. This car has the poorest build quality and flimsiest materials I have ever come across....especially at this price point.

I think nail varnish has a tougher finish when compared to the paint job on this too....

Piece of junk.

Will go Phev again, but not Mitsubishi

Sorry for being grumpy :shock:

Actually LED's do make the fitting more expensive for us, due to their indefinite life, manufacturers don't need to design a fitting for bulb changes so (like many manufacturers) took the opportunity to design cheaper to make moulded all in one modules.

Worse for us as if a LED does fail (rare but it happened to me on another car) you have to replace the whole unit instead of £1 bulb!

Wait until you break a HID headlight unit - those go for 1500 GBP or more - on many brands...All car manufacturers seem to make their big bucks on spare parts.

if insurance is apying for damage it is always worth checking Ebay and Gumtree for breakers, savings usually at least 40% on new if not more

Back