Rear Sensors

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jthspace

I had rear sensors installed today. Sorry there are no photos but I will describe what the fitting involved. Although there is a rearview camera, I like the audio feedback as well, so retro-fitted some. They are colour-matched to the car paint by the supplier.

Rear bumper. This does not have to be removed. The fitter lay under the car and advised that the bumper has marks on the inside where the factory fitted sensors go, so he used a bradawl to make a small "dent" where each sensor should go from the inside.

He popped out the reversing lamp and fog lamp units. There is a spring loaded clip and from underneath a small squeeze and the light units popped out very easily. Good time to change the bulbs to LED if you want to.

On the rear lefthand side he removed the tail-light assembly. Two screws. Warning - use a plastic spreader between the joint to ease the light unit away. There are two bayonet type lugs that push into rubber grommits and these hold the light unit very snuggly and have to be prised apart. Pushing the light unit by force will see it firing away from you at great speed and crashing to the ground.

Using the drill and cutter, he drilled out the holes in order to push fit the sensors into the bumper, they can only go one way, so be careful not to put them upside down otherwise they will be angled towards the ground and will beep constantly.

After cable-wrapping the wires together (so it looks like a wiring loom) he threaded it up into the rear light gap. There is a large grommit where the wiring for the rear light goes into the bodywork. He removed the grommit and wangled the sensor look through the grommit.

On my car, there is a large "lump" on the left rear which covers the motor for the electric tail lift. He removed one screw and the cover is held on by two push clips, which he separated. Tape the cover up out of the way.

You can now see the main wiring loom for the rear lights. He removed the loom tape to expose the wiring bundle. The reversing light wire is blue. He tested this with a circuit probe. He made a small nick in the wire and soldered the wire to the reversing sensor control box to the feed and reinsulated the joint. When the reverse light illuminates, it also powers the sensors.

He cable tied the excess wire together (there was a very generous supply of wire!) and tucked it neatly behind the lining. He then attached the control box to the car bodywork behind the trim using double sided sticky pad. The sounder was a very smart black box, looks a bit like a car remote, so I asked him to fix it to the trim in the boot. It has an adjustable volume swich (low, medium, high) and a low tone or a high tone. Cheaper units just have a mini sounder and these are best hidden as they are rather ugly.

The rear light unit was reconnected, the reversing and fog lamp units replaced and it was time to test. All of the light units have to be in place otherise the car will "throw a fit" as it thinks bulbs have failed if left unconnected.

Testing. On EV's it is rather dangerous. On a "normal" car, reverse can be selected with the engine off. On an EV, the power train is live - so for testing, it needs two people, one to walk past the sensors and someone (trust-worthy) in the driving seat with the hand-brake tightly pulled and a foot on the brake. :)

Everything worked, so all of the trim was put back and a real-life test done. With the camera, when the redline on the screen is very near to the wall, you have about 18" of space left. The sensors beep as you get close, beep-beep when the red line is nearing the wall and beep-beep-beep very fast about 12" away from the wall. So, the camera red line is about 18" and you can go back until the beeps scream at you and you will be 12" away from the wall / car behind. Very useful to know you can "squeeze" a little more out of the camera safety zone.

Total time to fit was about 90 minutes and that included the time talking to me about what he was doing! Sorry Kevin!

I can whole-heartedly recommend the company to anyone in East Anglia who wants tow-bar / sensors / etc. etc done. They fit these on behalf of car main dealers, including the dealer I purchased the car from. Usual disclaimer - I have no connection to the company, other than as a very satisfied customer.

http://www.streetsinstallations.co.uk/

Again, sorry for the lack of photo's of the install. The end result is that, to all intents and purposes, I have sensors that are colour coded exactly and look like OEM fitting. Well pleased.

Jeff

I had Rear Sensors fitted by CCR Melksham to my GX4h plus the front "Corner" Sensors. The Fronts were color coord, but the Rears are Black! Looking at the then Accessories list on the Mitsubishi Website it did say that the Rears were Black only so accepted it!

See: http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/outlander/accessories/categories.aspx?group=48

"(Colour Coding not included in price)"

Can I go back and ask them to rectify that. I clearly should have requested it!!

deskry said:
I had Rear Sensors fitted by CCR Melksham to my GX4h plus the front "Corner" Sensors. The Fronts were color coord, but the Rears are Black! Looking at the then Accessories list on the Mitsubishi Website it did say that the Rears were Black only so accepted it!

See: http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/outlander/accessories/categories.aspx?group=48

"(Colour Coding not included in price)"

Can I go back and ask them to rectify that. I clearly should have requested it!!

Should be a simple job- let us know when you permanently turn your fronts off though!

You could just buy some touch-up paint and do them yourself. Even factory fit are colour coded - they come black and then are painted to match the car by the fitter.

Jeff

I will tackle this when I get myself some paint (Glacier Blue). I have my own sprayer; one of those Art Shop jobs. I presume the center part of the sensor can be sprayed as well?

When mine were being fitted, the whole sensor had been sprayed but the fitter then scrapped away the paint from the "ring" around the sensor with his finger - it came off very easily, so I suspect whatever the ring is made of the paint does not adhere. Hard to describe, so here is a link to a picture of a sensor and you can see the "band" that is unpainted.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...S4mKuEzOj9WvHxzfy5YFpddWYXaIsZygvx3HJFd2962ww

Jeff

I've got a 2016MY GX3+ with standard rear sensors ( colour coded !) although they're not very loud, but I'm waiting for Mitsubishi front sensor kits to arrive ( mid Nov I'm told) - I wanted the car & P11D savings so agreed to wait for the front sensors ! I got used to sensors all round with an Insignia, although I do miss the visual display that & my wife's Volvo XC60 have

I'd had my Ruby Black GX4h for a week when it was clear that the camera system did not completely negate the need for parking sensors so asked the Mitsubishi dealer if they could be retrofitted.

Having read the handbook and initially thought there would be no way of having them fitted, I was pleasantly surprised that they could do it so booked it in. On the day I was slightly surprised to be told that fitting would be contracted out to a local fitter, so asked the salesman if it would be a fully guaranteed Mitsubishi accessory. I should have asked if it would be exactly the same as described in the handbook, because clearly it isn't. There's no switch and no screen display which augments the rather weak beeping noise as you approach an obstacle.

I feel that it would have been nice to be told that this accessory - which cost me £480 - would not have the switch or the display of the proper Mitsubishi fitting. Clearly if I have a towbar fitted, there's no way of changing the set up (using the switch) to change the detection pattern. I am therefore a bit disappointed.

To justify the cost, the salesman also implied that the fittings would have to be colour co-ordinated which made me think the sensors would come in new bumpers which would have to be sprayed. Clearly this was my misunderstanding. The sensors appear to be just drilled into the existing bumpers.

I'd welcome any comments from anyone. I feel let down by Mitsubishi. Am I wrong??

Mine were fitted for under £200 so your dealer has ripped you off. My fitter also fits reversing sensors for Mitsubishi and BMW dealers in the area as well as dealer supplied tow bars. If you contact the fitter direct, he is less than half the price the dealer will charge.

Ask the dealer to sort out the problem, it was fitted at his premises and he invoiced you, I assume. He will have to get the fitter back to put the beeper in a better place. My beeper is fitted to the trim in the boot and has a volume control (soft and loud)

Jeff

Back