Replacement Key

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uptodat

After my wife's bag was stolen :( , we had a number of keys to replace including the Phev. Quote for a replacement fob, blade and re-program of replacement and surviving key was just under £350 :eek: .
It was a 30 min job on our Toyota and the local Mitsu dealer said it should take half an hour but allow an hour as it was the first time on a Phev....
After 3 hours of dealer's effort whilst on the phone to Mitsu Head Office, the re-program failed and I took the car away with the inconvenience of having to centrally lock from within before using the blade to lock the door manually, and inserting the fob in the dash to tackle the immobiliser.
The car was there all the next day while enquiries were escalated to Mitsu Europe, but no joy, and I took it away again without the benefit of keyless entry and start or remote locking. As they say: you don't miss something until it's gone. Especially annoying in the heavy rain.
It went in again today and I drove away in another courtesy car again expecting a long job.
But I got the call it was all sorted before I got too far - Hooray!
It is thought that either the car's wifi or that on the dealer's laptop had previously caused interference with the programming, and with everything switched off and unplugged it worked immediately. This dealer and Mitsu HQ are now aware and instructions should prevent any such mishap recurring, but, if you find yourself needing a replacement Phev key, it may be worth mentioning this tale. Dealer did not charge for reprogramming and gave car a nice clean. :)

Painfully expensive! When I collected our car last week, the dealer pointed out the key number tag on one of the keyrings and told me to keep a careful note of it in case I needed a replacement. He also apologised for the fact that the replacement would cost £85.

The fact that they had to reprogram so much leads me to assume that you did not have a record of the key number? Our dealer seemed to imply that, given the number, he could simply order a replacement key that would work with the car as it already was.

I have the little tag with the key number or rather the number of the blade which comes separate to the fob part. The blade only unlocks one door. The fob part does all the keyless stuff including immobiliser and remote. I got 2 identical quotes from different dealers. Maybe you have just been quoted for a blade? Toyota key was well over £100 too.

Uptodat said:
I have the little tag with the key number or rather the number of the blade which comes separate to the fob part. The blade only unlocks one door. The fob part does all the keyless stuff including immobiliser and remote. I got 2 identical quotes from different dealers. Maybe you have just been quoted for a blade? Toyota key was well over £100 too.

I didn't explore it in detail - not lost the original yet! But the dealer certainly seemed to be saying that the code on the tag would allow him to order a replacement keyless module and that the price would be around £80 - perhaps he did not really understand it himself!

I suspect that the £350 price is the one - I had a similar quote for a Peugeot key that had the same capabilities.

CJ

Remembering this thread, I got my new car insurance documents through a couple of days ago and noticed that I'm entitled to free "key insurance" as an AA customer - I had to register for it, but they will pay up to £500 for replacement keys, locks or reprogramming. Worth checking if your insurer offers anything similar...

I was amused to see that it only applies to one set if keys - if you want to cover both, they will charge a few pounds extra. They supply a small tag to be attached to the key ring and say that the insurance is not valid unless the tag is attached. Now, am I being thick here, or is this completely ridiculous. This is insurance against losing your keys... If the tag is on the keys that I'm carrying with me and my wife loses her set, how are they going to know? I simply take the tag off my keys and throw it away - then make a claim and they send me a replacement tag to go on the new keys - or am I being particularly obtuse?

Back