Tyre pressure Monitor alarm

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Topcat

2016 PHEV

Car went into Arnold Clark for first MOT. We told them that back passenger tyre had a slow puncture and that steering was a bit wobbly.

They repaired the tyre with the puncture and after seeing their inspection video for tyre depth and wear we also replaced front passenger tyre with a new one and had tracking/alignement done.

After the MOT was complete we drove the car home and after 6 miles the alarm for "Tyre pressure monitor" came on. There intial response was this would clear after a little bit of driving (that one mystified me). When this didn,t work we took the car back in and my wife waited two hours after which they also said they could not reset. This Arnold Clark branch was a Voltzwagon dealer as you can use any of their branches for a routine MOT check. We have now been told it will have to go to a dedicated Mitsubushi Arnold Clark for it to be reset as it requires the correct diagnostic programming software. Again to me this seems overboard

Have found you guys are better at giving the solution so does anyone have the fix for this. Have obviously tried doing the 3 second reset from the pushbutton on the right hand side dash under the steering wheel which does not work.

thanks
Topcat

Now this is a prime example of the inadvisability to have anybody but an authorized dealer work on the car.
It may well be that you will have to have the second tyre "on the same axle" replaced as well, but you could try swapping them around.

No don't understand this, jaapv. Surely punctures and tyres can be repaired and/or replaced by anybody - nothing to do with Mitsu dealers "expertise". In the last 5 years I have both done a number of times by "back street" tyre fitters with no problems and the TPMS has functioned perfectly well afterwards.

This alarm suggests they have damaged the TPMS valve or even left it out altogether! One possibility is that they replaced the valve but, of course, can't programme in the new code - hence it needs to be taken to a Mitsu dealer.

NB. When I recently had to drive my PHEV with new wheels and tyres but non-functioning TPMS valves, the alarm also did not come up for about 6 miles.

Of course a tyre can be repaired/replaced by a third party. If all goes well it will be unproblematic - but these clearly have no expertise of the Mitsubishi TPMS. Farting around for two hours on such a problem is singularlyn unimpressive. Possibly a dedicated tyre center would do better, as there is a need to be able to work on different cars, which lacks with a specific-brand dealer.

However...…………. when my Mitsu dealer offered (for £200) to mount my winter tyres on a new 2nd set of rims because they had the tyre changing equipment. They lacked the nuts to lock the valves to the rims, as they don't come with them. I imagine any "back street" fitter would have been able to come with some without having to order them in. :lol:

NB. The corollary to this was even when they fitted them they found the TPMS codes couldn't be input (presumably because the 4 year old unused batteries had failed) so had re-order the valves and repeat fitting (another £200). Of course, the original 5 year old ones work fine. :roll:

Did the subject veer off road there :D

I take it for this particular problem there is not a solution other than to take to the Mitsubshi dealership?

That is probably the best solution.
On a sidenote - I rarely use my towing hitch, so it is a Mitsubishi detachable one. When I rented a trailer with a local garage, the detachable part didn't fit, after twenty minutes and mumblings about rear-end accident damage (which not ;) ), I took it to the nearby Mitsubishi dealer who cleaned out the corrosion from the offending cranny in five minutes - My own fault, I hadn't replaced the cover with the required blob of grease, but the general garage was clueless.

Back