Tyre Pressure Monitoring System

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 258

Hi,

Background: My last car didn't have a spare wheel and didn't have anywhere to store one so I bought a space saver spare which I strapped down in the boot.

I planned on doing the same with the PHEV. Although they do a space saver for the diesel version, which has the same wheel sizes, I'm told it can't be used. The manual does make a big point about all the wheels/tyres being the same and even goes as far as to say you should replace all tyres if you need to replace just one (yeah right, can't see many people doing that).

A full size new spare wheel is very expensive (about £800) although I could probably buy one used for about £150 from Ebay. However, I don't think I can give up the amount of boot space this would use since they are quite large wheels!

So, I've bought a TPMS, each dustcap is replaced with a sensor and there is a small unit that plugs into the 12v socket. I have this in the exposed one and it looks great. It cycles through each wheels pressure and if there is a slow leak will give an audible alarm and if there is a fast leak it will alarm more (so could be plugged into the hidden socket). It also alarms on low battery, high pressure, high temperature, or sensor failure. My hope is that a puncture would be notified to me early enough that I can pull off a motorway into a service station and either have it fixed there in comfort and safety or inflate the tyre and finish my journey if it is a slowish leak rather than being stranded on the hard shoulder.

It cost £81 including postage, took 10 minutes to fit, and works exactly as it should. Not the same as carrying a spare wheel but does give me some peace of mind.

Google for "TP-70 DIY Tyre Pressure Monitoring System" if you are interested. No connection other than as a satisfied customer. If you have any questions fire away.

Kind regards,
Mark

maddogsetc said:
I thought the car came with TPMS as standard :?:

This is the frustrating thing... Why can't all the top of the line cars have all the same features - the wiring is there for the most part anyway, because you can guarantee it's in lo one loom for the world, but for whatever reason they decide to not put it in some, and then put it in others...

Good thinking though on the TPMS, I suppose like anything, early detection is the keey! I'll have a look out for it. Have you got any pics?

http://www.tpms.com.au/tyre-pressure-monitors/steelmate-4-wheel-external-tyre-pressure-monitor-tpms.html

AUD 199.00

Though currently "Coming Soon or Temporarily Out of Stock" :roll:

---edit ---
Interesting reviews: http://www.outbacktravelaustralia.com.au/4wd-mods-tyres-and-wheels/tyre-pressure-monitoring

Supercheap Auto sell the "Steelmate Tyre Pressure Monitoring System" for $175.00, acc to their website.

PS All others I've found in Oz websites > $300

maddogsetc said:
I'm sure they have to be fitted as standard to all new cars, in the UK at least: http://www.itv.com/news/central/201...yre-pressure-monitoring-system-is-introduced/

Not quite true, I think. As far as I can see, it has been a requirement to include TPMS in all new passenger vehicle designs seeking EU approval since November 2012 and it will be mandatory that all new vehicles sold in the EU include TPMS from November this year - so assuming that the Outlander gained its type approval before November 2012, there will be a window till November this year during which TPMS is not mandatory.

^^ Can't see anything in the manual though :( Will be rather disappointed if it's not included and also puzzled as to why :?

maddogsetc said:
I'm sure they have to be fitted as standard to all new cars, in the UK at least: http://www.itv.com/news/central/201...yre-pressure-monitoring-system-is-introduced/

I believe all new type approvals need to have TPMS. However, face lift models or new models that are similar to the last model don't always need new type approval so don't need TPMS.

Additionally, where it is provided as standard it is often implemented via the ABS system using the difference in wheel rotation rates so wouldn't display actual pressures, just pop up a warning.
Kind regards
Mark

Be wary of this type of sensor. As they replace the dustcap they are constantly holding the valve open in order to read the pressure, you are therefore reliant upon the seal around the valve thread to retain the pressure. On the plus side, if these do cause a leak at least you will be notified of it!

chindley said:
So if I was to take delivery of my PHEV on Nov 1st, they would have to have them fitted? Just curious as it is not due in to the dealer till 8th Oct.

Actually, that begs the question as to if the TPMS is already fitted and they haven't updated the manual. My local dealer mentioned a customer who had a TPMS warning pop up.

Anyone willing to deflate a tyre to test :)

Kind regards
Mark

It lists it here http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/en/showroom/phev/specifications/
But obviously not a uk site.
Surely if they do have to be fitted from 1st Nov then vehicles been shipped now will have it on as they can guarantee they will be registered before 1st Nov.

Unfortunately I cannot find any website that sells this stuff to continental Europe...

But Steelmate will do so when asked by email, there is no option on their site :)

I was concerned with the lack of a spare tyre as well.

I have installed a TyreDog(TM) sensor system to the valve stems. This monitors the PSI of each tyre and displays it on a console screen.

I don't leave it turned ON all the time, but is part of the normal inspection routine [walk around] check.

Will pick up the slow type leaks, that if left unattended will ruin the tyre. Any fast leak should be evident as it happens, and is not a simple fix without a spare.

Am looking into a spare for longer trips.

I was told by my dealer that they are now fitted to all new PHEV being delivered by Mitsubishi to the UK, including mine, which I picked up only a week ago.

if you go into the settings menu on the main dashboard display then you will find an option for Tyre Pressure Monitor, hold dash button for 2 seconds to reset to current pressures. The next option 1 and 2 is for winter tyres apparently, which become setting 2. Direct from CCC this pm. All this is undocumented.

Pretty sure it's not anywhere in my 'Settings' menu. Perhaps it will be in the next software upgrade :eek: :lol:

Back