Reversing camera is useless at this time of year!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerHunter

Anyone else find that the reversing camera is useless at this time of year? It seems constantly covered in road grime making it pretty much unusable - even when cleaning it before each and every drive.
My previous 3 cars call had a reversing camera and none exhibited the problem to the same extent. Seems Mitsubishi placed it without any real testing.

Kev.

BeerHunter said:
Anyone else find that the reversing camera is useless at this time of year? It seems constantly covered in road grime making it pretty much unusable - even when cleaning it before each and every drive.
My previous 3 cars call had a reversing camera and none exhibited the problem to the same extent. Seems Mitsubishi placed it without any real testing.

Kev.
Seems you bought it without testing?

Sorry, had to :oops:

My other cars with cameras have been similar. Have you had estates / 4x4's before. Just wipe with a finger once in a while, no big deal.

My previous 3 cars with reversing cameras were 4x4s and none of their cameras were affected by dirt like this. You could drive them all for a week on the mankiest roads before having to clean the camera.
The PHEVs camera is as good as useless at this time of year - clean it before setting off and within a few miles it is unusable.
The other cars all had the camera tucked away whereas this one is far more exposed. Bad design, nothing more.

I do live in the back of beyond, so perhaps for the city dwellers it is not so much of an issue.

Kev.

I certainly haven't had this problem - and the car is filthy at the moment after the Christmas period.

BeerHunter said:
The PHEVs camera is as good as useless at this time of year - clean it before setting off and within a few miles it is unusable.
Still seems like an opinion to me, more than a fact. I clean mine at best once every two months, when I wash the car :oops: . But I use it almost every day. Sure, it could be better. Like everything else in the world could be better. But useless? Maybe under the conditions you are facing.

I too live down the end of what is quite a muddy track. Having owned the car now for nealry 3 weeks I have found it is necessary to clean the camera surface at least three times to be able to use it properly.
What I have found is that having parking sensors previously it does take some getting used to having a camera instead. I note other people have said the same. It is much better at avoiding our very old cat who insists on sitting behind the car!

The car is excellent having done nearly 1000 miles.

I had parking sensors on the Prius that preceded the Outlander, but I would never want to go back to them - camera always for me now. My wife is mess convinced, but she is simply not willing to put her faith in the camera.

I've got a Gx3h - so no camera as standard. But am disappointed with the only one reversing light. Made it difficult to reverse out in a pitch dark road New Year's Night. Does the camera work well under these conditions? - if so I might have one fitted.

greendwarf said:
I've got a Gx3h - so no camera as standard. But am disappointed with the only one reversing light. Made it difficult to reverse out in a pitch dark road New Year's Night. Does the camera work well under these conditions? - if so I might have one fitted.

The single reversing light is not very effective and I have fitted a brighter CREE bulb replacement which has helped a little but I have now ordered a LHD reversing light (from Lithuania !) which will give some more light on the driver's side and should help a bit. I will have to modify it a little to take a red CREE bulb for the foglight but it shouldn't be a problem.

I find the camera quite hopeless at night - actually it is the screen that is way too bright at night, flooding the interior of the car with light, making it difficult to adjust your eyes when looking in the mirrors or out of the windows. Give me parking sensors every time ;)

RazMan said:
...I find the camera quite hopeless at night - actually it is the screen that is way too bright at night, flooding the interior of the car with light, making it difficult to adjust your eyes when looking in the mirrors or out of the windows. Give me parking sensors every time ;)
I had the same issue, but after adjusting the screen brightness and contrast it is now fine and its "night vision" is perfectly OK (assuming the camera is not covered in gunk ;) ).

Kev.

Maybe not useless, but lots of problems.

Not only dirt, (it can be removed), but permanent condensation.

By changing temperatures, there seems to be always some mist
(condensation) on the lens. Getting out and cleaning every time
is a nuisance.

Have no comparison, it is my first car with camera, little disappointing.

BeerHunter said:
I had the same issue, but after adjusting the screen brightness and contrast it is now fine and its "night vision" is perfectly OK (assuming the camera is not covered in gunk ;) ).

Kev.

Thanks for the tip Kev - I didn't realise that the day & night settings were completely separate. I have tweaked the night settings and it is much better now :D

RazMan said:
BeerHunter said:

Kev.

Thanks for the tip Kev - I didn't realise that the day & night settings were completely separate. I have tweaked the night settings and it is much better now :D

Can you pls let me know where those settings are? My night settings are way too bright and I am too lazy to go thru the menus/manual to find out myself :?
Thanks

Back