Reversing Camera

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sandy said:
When putting the car in reverse and the car has not been used for short time ,The red and white lines on the image take quite a few seconds to come on .My dealer says this is normal. I find it frustrating. Does anyone else find this.

I see the lines sometimes and sometimes not and I do not know why

There are legal requirements to initiate the camera on reverse gear within a specific time. But there are no such requirements on performance on graphical overlays and UI. Mitsubishi simply didn't spend much money and engineering time on performance and usability in this case. Heck, they even left out trajectory guidelines on steering angle input.

puckernutter said:
There are legal requirements to initiate the camera on reverse gear within a specific time. ...

Are there really? That surprises me since there is no legal requirement to have a reversing camera at all!

Yes, for existing installations.

Legal requirement for rear camera as standard will be introduced. I think 2018 in the US.

My current car has a reversing camera (waiting for delivery of my new Gx3) and the lines come on immediately from cold start and also give steering related directional information (which I find very helpful). It must use some sort of embedded processor that has flash memory rather than waiting on a rather dated hard drive based media system. Having used a few reversing cameras, the one on the Outlander PHEV is pretty poor, in my view (didn't stop me buying the car, but put me off the Gx4). I hope Mitsu take notice of feedback as the car seems (from owners views and my test drive) very good apart from the things a lot of people talk about on this forum - wise old goats the lot of you!

It has rarely anything to do with if the system is hard drive based or not. These are not supercomputers or anything. It's all up to memory and cpu handling (read/write) and the boot order in which they decide to load the vehicle applications. The MMCS system looks more lika a customized of the shelf-product which Mitsubishi themselves probably had little to decide over.

puckernutter said:
It has rarely anything to do with if the system is hard drive based or not. These are not supercomputers or anything. It's all up to memory and cpu handling (read/write) and the boot order in which they decide to load the vehicle applications. The MMCS system looks more lika a customized of the shelf-product which Mitsubishi themselves probably had little to decide over.

Yes, perhaps using the term 'hard drive' was a little generic. Supercomputers are not needed for these simple applications. A basic few pound dedicated chip does the work and boot order is only relevant to one system loading up a number of various programs including the operating system, such as your typical PC. I set-up with dedicated, independently started systems would solve the issue. Given their limited functionality and lack of a full operating system they boot pretty much instantaneously. I agree with your point about the 'off the shelf' nature of the MMCS. It's probably a cheaper Pioneer or Panasonic system that has been re-coded for certain applications linked to the car. No doubt the people who worked on it aren't dumb, but just had to work in the cost/functional limitations placed upon them. I suspect dedicated systems cost a lot more to develop and build.

Help! While driving today, the reversing camera came on! Then went back to normal display.
Then, while reversing into my driveway, the camera failed to come on until half way up the drive.
Is this an incipient failure? Who do I ask to fix it?

Back