Seized rear brake caliper

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As posted elsewhere, I had a caliper replaced under warranty last year on my July 2014 PHEV.
Last week I got the same symptoms when the handbrake wasn't holding well even fully pulled up. The dealer diagnosed that the self-adjusting mechanism (other side to last time) was seized and a new caliper required - available in the country but not in stock. Dealer called after a couple of days and I was booked in for today, only to be cancelled at short notice as the part hadn't arrived and now they couldn't say when it would be in. The recall notice seems to explain the issue, which appears to be a design fault - inadequate protection of a self-adjusting mechanism prone to corrosion, potentially leading to parking brake failure and movement of the vehicle.
I'm wondering if the dealer / Mitsu are stalling while modified calipers or maybe more limited repair kits are produced.
Dealer told me that they'd only had 3 such issues on PHEVs before, one being the first one they replaced on mine. At they time they told me a similar problem arose on ASXs.
It looks like a full blown recall will soon be in progress with cars with faults reported dealt with first, then the oldest. Disappointing in what otherwise has been a good, reliable car for me.

Hmmm. Hadn’t seen this thread but just picked my 2015 4h up from the garage (mits dealership) after spending around £500 on having the caliper per replaced so will be watching this with interest!

Customer services informed me on 5/2/2018 that brake calipers will be in stock w/c 12/2/2018 & apologised for delay. Deny knowledge of a recall re this issue despite me sending them the link to the recall in Japan. EchoVictor, was your repair not under warranty?

No not under warranty. It is over 6 months since purchased and 77000 miles so not covered. I will be having words though if this turns into a full recall. It needed replacing to pass MOT

EchoVictor said:
No not under warranty. It is over 6 months since purchased and 77000 miles so not covered. I will be having words though if this turns into a full recall. It needed replacing to pass MOT

Mine is going in to have its second replacement (different wheels) next week as parts are in.

It shouldn't make it difficult to get an MOT, they can't test the car on the rolling road by axle (as its 4WD) so have to use the alternative method. The tester takes a portable deceleration monitor in the car, gets up some speed and jams the brake on and records the rates of deceleration. The requirement is quite low to be honest and a modern car like the PHEV could probably pass with only half the brakes working at all, let alone just a stiff caliper.

My caliper parts came in and its been done last week. Technically 'out of warranty' but dealer said Mitsubishi had agreed to cover it anyway, which is nice. Manufacturers don't usually give away this easily, unless they know disputing it will not go well.. ;)

Same as everyone else, dealer says its not a common problem, no recall.

another bit of info I got was that apparently the wifi security mod was causing part failure on older PHEV's and a new module had to be ordered in before carrying it out. (possibly the wifi module?)

Same issue for me about 18 months ago on a 2014 model. Both calipers needed replacing. I initially took it into a Kwik Fit garage as I don't live close to the dealership and they said they couldn’t look at the brakes due to the regen nature of them. Apparently they had an advisory note on their system that said a technician had received an electric shock.

Sorry for suggesting this might be a driver issue Hypermiler. Happened to me now. A troublesome caliper can be identified if you suspect your handbrake is not as efficient as it should be either by performing a hill start (on the flat) and noting if the car tends to twist asymmetrically as the hand brake is released - the defective brake doesn't hold that corner of the car down. Also if you look at the calipers from behind the rear of the car - illumination may be needed - you may be able to see the rubber boot on the cable going to the defective caliper is fully compressed whereas the working one will be a relatively open concertina. Finally you can apply the handbrake normally and jack the suspect corner and try to move the wheel by hand against the handbrake. There was no quibble from my Mitsu dealer.

I'm doubt Mitsu dealers will quibble over the caliper issue. I imagine the firm is trying to avoid a general recall to fit modified adjusters. My dealer couldn't tell me if they were fitting a modified one or not...

Mine is booked in tomorrow morning as both sides of mine have seized. They actually got stuck in the engaged position. Greenflag managed to release them and told me that they both needed replacing. They were actually OK for a week or so after they were released but now the handbrake is loose and failing to engage fully
Edit: mine is a 2014 variant so technically out of warranty... But with 26000 on the clock they better not try to charge me for both!

I have a 14 Reg Outlander which recently had symptom of a Seized Caliper.
I was able to diagnose the problem to the shaft that connects the Handbrake level Arm (at the Caliper) to the handbrake cable.
The Caliper did not require replacing...if the Caliper was seized then the brakes would not work on the specific wheel where the problem is.
I spoke with Mitsu Main Dealer and advise I got was, Its out of Warranty as of June 16 and there is no recall for seized Brake Calipers but it seems to be happening wholesale.

Steeeeve said:
Mine is booked in tomorrow morning as both sides of mine have seized. They actually got stuck in the engaged position. Greenflag managed to release them and told me that they both needed replacing. They were actually OK for a week or so after they were released but now the handbrake is loose and failing to engage fully
Edit: mine is a 2014 variant so technically out of warranty... But with 26000 on the clock they better not try to charge me for both!

There is a recall for this here in Australia. It also applies to the normal (not PHEV) Outlanders sold here.

My handbrake is not holding my car and told the rear calipers have gone.
In the UK, they are offering a goodwill gesture for cars under 5 years old and under 93,000 miles. Great of that is you....
Mine is a 2014 plate so no worries there but I have done 107,000 miles and they will not replace free of charge, even though I have a full Mitsubishi History and about £5k spent on servicing.
I told them there was a recall in America, Japan and Australia and they are not bothered as no recall in UK.
I have been offered 1/2 price calipers (due in about 25th June) but still over £500.00 bill as a goodwill gesture and I need to sign a form.
This is properly outrageous and I cannot believe how weak the UK Motoring Authorities are.
I have complained to Watch Dog consumer show on the BBC and they are now interested in the story - please send complaints to Watch Dog TV program and shame Mitsubishi into doing the right thing.
These should have been recalled and done properly.

EyeCandy said:
My handbrake is not holding my car and told the rear calipers have gone.
In the UK, they are offering a goodwill gesture for cars under 5 years old and under 93,000 miles. Great of that is you....
Mine is a 2014 plate so no worries there but I have done 107,000 miles and they will not replace free of charge, even though I have a full Mitsubishi History and about £5k spent on servicing.
I told them there was a recall in America, Japan and Australia and they are not bothered as no recall in UK.
I have been offered 1/2 price calipers (due in about 25th June) but still over £500.00 bill as a goodwill gesture and I need to sign a form.
This is properly outrageous and I cannot believe how weak the UK Motoring Authorities are.
I have complained to Watch Dog consumer show on the BBC and they are now interested in the story - please send complaints to Watch Dog TV program and shame Mitsubishi into doing the right thing.
These should have been recalled and done properly.

Sorry you are going through this, and it is disappointing on Mitsubishi's part. They are all coming from the same factory in Japan, so if there is a recall in 3 countries, there should have been a global recall. Consumer protection is much stronger in USA, especially California and New York states. If it wasn't for lemon-law protections here, I wouldn't be looking at Mitsubishi.

I mailed Mitsubishi Sweden as my 2016 car is due for service in 5000 km. Answer is they are waiting for a European recall to happen soon, but they do not know when.

Just an update as I didn't want to post anything until I had it confirmed, my calipers will be done under goodwill, however there is currently no date for when the part will be available, the expectation is at least a month.. Which I was expecting after researching here and on FB groups... Hopefully will get sorted sooner rather than later!

Back