Setting up Wireless Android Auto on 2023 M.O.PHEV

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duaneger

Hi all

Hope somebody finds this useful. Here's how to set up wireless Android auto on the 2023 PHEV.

I'm an Android guy and use Android Auto, but hate having to plug in the phone to activate it in the car. In my previous car, I was using the Motorola MA1 Wireless Android Auto Car Adapter that plugs into the USB port to which your phone connects to the adapter via Bluetooth; vuolla! Wireless Android (on my previous car).

Anyway, when I plugged it into the 2023 PHEV (and i believe the same issue for older models) it didn't work. I found out that Mitsubishi's don't output enough power thru their USB ports, so adapters such as the MA1 don't have enough juice to keep a stable connection.

Here's the workaround/setup to get this working:
  • Get a high power usb car charger for the auxiliary power outlet. I bought the AINOPE USB C Car Charger Adapter, [PD36W & QC36W] Super Fast Car Charger on Amazon.
  • Get a USB 3.0 Dual Power Charge Cable Y Adapter.
  • Plug the Y cable's power-only USB into the usb car charger adapter, then the Y cable's data+power usb into the car's USB port, then the wireless Android Auto adapter into the Y cable's females port.

This set up provides the extra juice needed for these adapters to work.

Attachments

• mophev_androidauto.jpg
    mophev_androidauto.jpg
    687.7 KB · Views: 95
My AAWireless works fine with just the power from the USB port. I have a unit from their Kickstarter. Occasionally I get a message on the car's display saying that the phone and car clocks are out of sync but it then dismisses automatically and everything works normally. I'm curious to know if others have seen this.

Ampere said:
My AAWireless works fine with just the power from the USB port. I have a unit from their Kickstarter. Occasionally I get a message on the car's display saying that the phone and car clocks are out of sync but it then dismisses automatically and everything works normally. I'm curious to know if others have seen this.

Cool! Good to know. Your AAWireless probably doesn't require the same power output as my Motorola MA1. I didn't want to have to buy a new adapter. I also tried the Otto adapter and it, too, required the y cable, but still would lose connection from time to time, so I returned it.

Back