smell burning when charge option used

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelica02

Hi Folks, I had my first long drive with the PHEV,
and just tried to use the charge button while on the motorway.
does anyone have tried this as well, the odd part is
I smell like a burning clutch and when I stopped to check it the
bonnet is pretty hot than usual. Is this normal or should I be worried about it?
thanks

GX4h
2016 Facelift
White Pearl

Yes, this is normal and will mostly disappear over time. It is residues burning off the exhaust.
The bonnet gets warm as the engine is running.

It has taken a bit of time for the smell to go on mine as I very, very rarely use it other than on EV, but it does fade and it does eventually go.

Thought mine was on fire first time I used the charge button! But it did fade after a few trips - nothing at all now. Nothing to worry about.

PHEW!
Thank goodness for that! I thought mine was about to burst into flames as well. Glad for the answer here. Thanks.

Mine really stinks when it' s on (engine) charge . I phoned Poole Mitsubishi & was told that it gets very hot. I asked if it was the wax on the exhaust (mine has done 4000miles now) he said the exhaust wax would have burnt off ages ago. I asked if it was likely to burst into flames . He assured me it wouldn't!!!
BTW. If anyone is considering carrying a fire extinguisher. DO NOT put it in the cable storage area. Apparently someone did that and on cornering it smashed its way through the plastic AND cracked the 12volt battery. Also of course any fire extinguisher you should choose to carry must be non conductive. Halon or similar.
My neighbour is a fire officer & he told me they have had to be specially trained for dealing with any form of electric vehicle involved in an RTA. As a high pressure hose and 300volts don't mix very well!!!

Carnut said:
Mine really stinks when it' s on (engine) charge . I phoned Poole Mitsubishi & was told that it gets very hot. I asked if it was the wax on the exhaust (mine has done 4000miles now) he said the exhaust wax would have burnt off ages ago. I asked if it was likely to burst into flames . He assured me it wouldn't!!!
BTW. If anyone is considering carrying a fire extinguisher. DO NOT put it in the cable storage area. Apparently someone did that and on cornering it smashed its way through the plastic AND cracked the 12volt battery. Also of course any fire extinguisher you should choose to carry must be non conductive. Halon or similar.
My neighbour is a fire officer & he told me they have had to be specially trained for dealing with any form of electric vehicle involved in an RTA. As a high pressure hose and 300volts don't mix very well!!!

There is an emergency procedures manual on the forum if you do a search for it, quite interesting.

Carnut said:
On really smelly cars it can take 8000-10000 miles to disappear.

Mine is well over 40000 miles and still does it. When conditions are 'right': Hook up a caravan and drag it through a major city with a depleated battery. Best to roll up the windows when you approach a red light.

Carnut said:

HALON gas type fire extinguishers were banned many years ago. There are other options now, but nothing that is quite as good.

I complained about the smell when bringing the car for the 1st service (after about 18000kms driven) thinking it was coming from the clutch. Service guys checked and found out that Mitsubishi had a service bulletin available, ordered some parts from Netherlands and have just got those installed. What they told is that mud/dirt from the front wheels is flying on top of exhaust pipe (which has curves due to electric motors) and "burn" when pipe gets hot. Those new parts are blocking dirt from the wheels (also pipe should be cleaned according to the bulletin) so it should help with this. I can try to figure out the service bulletin number and inform if it was any help.

Hi FINPHEV,
This is consistent with I had heard so far. Also explains why it is still there after 66000 kms. If you can get a hold of that bulletin, that would be great.

Just picked up the car and for the last 5 miles had no smell :)
I didn't get service bulletin it self in my hands but the number is FIL-15-005 (don't know if it's country specific but least here in Finland).

Back