Snowstorm, charging flap and remote heater not working

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steepndeep

Just had the first Snowstorm in Stockholm. I have always suspected that the charging flap mechanics and connectors are not worthy of an SUV being parked outside, and this night confirmed my thoughts. Remote heater did not start now in the morning. I use the keyfob hack and the car blinks three times but heater does not start. While shovelling snow around the car and try to turn the heater on I hear a small click from the charge connector. Not the big click and subsequent "clonk-clonk" from inside when the charging starts because of heater starting. Sure enough the charge cable connector area is filled with snow and ice which I carefully pry out and try to free the three "plastic rods" (which I think do the following: 1 turning light on, 2 locking lid, 3 spring to open lid).

Turns out if number 2 does not fully extend the remote heater will not start, don't know why as it does not matter whether the lid is closed or not.

Anyway, clearing the 2 pin from ice and now the heater works. But clearly the car is not engineered to be charged outside in a snowstorm, stupid engineering again. So, does anyone have a solution which does not require the car to be parked indoors while charging in a snowstorm? Maybe some plastic lid which could be fitted between open lid and charge area? Maybe even combine with a cable lock to prevent cable theft?

Steepndeep said:
So, does anyone have a solution which does not require the car to be parked indoors while charging in a snowstorm? Maybe some plastic lid which could be fitted between open lid and charge area?

A while back someone posted a photo of a soft drink bottle modified with a slit to fit over the charger, however I think that was to stop the trigger from freezing up?

Here is another thread on the charge port - http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1180

Steepndeep said:
Maybe even combine with a cable lock to prevent cable theft?

I use the hole in the charger trigger to put a combination lock. You have to choose something with an appropriate sized shaft.

I also live in Stockholm area and find the charging flap and connectors are not engineered to winter conditions. I did not have any problems yesterday with the flap but it was a close call with lots of snow and ice. I have been thinking about fixing this problem but so far I haven't done anything yet.

My proposal is to use a gaiter (swedish: snödamask) over the flap, connector and the cable. I believe this would work good enough and improve the situation considerably. Please try this as I believe this is one of the quickest solutions you can get hold of.

Back