Solved - Internet and car app at the same time

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerHunter

Guys,

If you are in the car, you will have noticed that the phone (iPhone at least) will by default connect to the car WiFi which then kills all data access on the phone.
There is a solution I've just come across this morning :)
Go into your phone's WiFi settings and rather than accepting the car's DHCP IP addressing, set a static address using exactly the same IPs, but leave the router IP blank.
The app will still connect to the car and you can see all the settings, but you will still have access to the internet over cellular.

I've not tested this thoroughly, so proceed at your own risk ;)

ATB,
Kev.

I had the same type of problem with Samsung Android O/S.
I did what you suggested and it seems to have done the trick thanks. WIreless connectivity is not nearly so erratic now, having become so since installing the app.
It certainly uses a most unusual IP address however!

So thanks Kev for that tip.

I also thought I'd use this trick, but I find that when my DHCP lease expires, I have to change back to DHCP again to be able to communicate with the vehicle.

Am I the only one that see this?

-KJ

hi can you talk the less technical of us through this.
I tried to remove the router IP but I can't figure out how to do this.. I've go the following settings on the WIFI > advanced options > Static DHCP (using a Galaxy S5)
IP address
Gateway
Prefix
DNS1
DNS 2 (seams to be blank)

I tried to remove all of them (Gateway, DNS1 and prefix) accept the IP but but that cancels the "save" button.. and I'm stuck..

Only remove the gateway. Don't touch the rest.

The fact that it even uses a gateway tells us that the person who designed this part did not understand what he or she was doing. It's not like the car is ever going to route your traffic in any way.

-KJ

Are we sure that the DHCP server in the car is supplying a gateway address, or is the phone assuming that the access point is the gateway in the absence of an explicit value?

maby said:
Are we sure that the DHCP server in the car is supplying a gateway address, or is the phone assuming that the access point is the gateway in the absence of an explicit value?

A valid question there. I have never tried to set up a dhcp server with no gateway address, so I do not know how an iPhone or android device handles that.

So until we know for sure, I'll take back my assumptions about the knowledge of the designers here.

-KJ

I wonder if this issue could be eventually solved by a software update.

The reason I wonder this is that I used to have a disk drive that attached to IPAD's wirelessly. was handy but had the same issue. But one day appeared a firmware update for it and suddenly you can set a pass through access point so that while you connected to the drive, you got to the main wi-fi via it.

SO perhaps the hardward in the car is capable of doing somethng similar and if enough people ask the firmware may get an upgrade?

We'll mitsubishi were fast at coming back to me but basically said that's how it is supposed to work so will have to keep looking for a solution.

Here's their reply:

Thank you for your website enquiry.

I have discussed your query with our product department, who have confirmed, that unfortunately this is how the system operates, there is no way to stop it blocking data besides turning the Wi-Fi off.

I would like to apologise for any inconvenience caused to you, however, would like to assure you that this is normal operation as opposed to a defect.

I hope this information is of assistance. Should you have any further queries or concerns then please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

That sounds to me like it went to someone that did not understand the passthru option if that was what you emailed about. Will give them a go myself tonight (still waiting for a reply first to see if they will give me a pdf version of the owners manual)

I have been thinking about leaving an old mobile phone in the car with a PAYG SIM and using Team Viewer to access the app therefore getting around the wifi issue and also being able to access from anywhere with an Internet connection. The only problem I can foresee is keeping the phone charged. I've had a look for a 12v timer clock so I could time its charge for when the car is plugged in overnight but so far only come across one that is a bit pricy for what it is so will keep looking.

Andy1234 said:
I have been thinking about leaving an old mobile phone in the car with a PAYG SIM and using Team Viewer to access the app therefore getting around the wifi issue and also being able to access from anywhere with an Internet connection. The only problem I can foresee is keeping the phone charged. I've had a look for a 12v timer clock so I could time its charge for when the car is plugged in overnight but so far only come across one that is a bit pricy for what it is so will keep looking.

Is Team Viewer able to operate in server mode on a mobile phone? I thought it was just a client. Also, how can it accept incoming connections over 3G? You don't get a public IP address.

What phone have you used to do this? I have tried a samung galaxy s3, s4, s5 and they wont let you save the network settings without a gateway. A samsung galaxy ace 2 would allow to leave a gateway blank but it would not allow a 3g connection while wifi was connected.

I was advised that Teamviewer would work mobile to mobile, however after contacting Teamviewer for confirmation they basically said thanks for the suggestion and we may look at this for future development, so it appears I'm back to square one on this. I see there is an app that works via text but I think £21 for the few times I could really do with using it is a bit steep!

BeerHunter said:
Guys,

If you are in the car, you will have noticed that the phone (iPhone at least) will by default connect to the car WiFi which then kills all data access on the phone.
There is a solution I've just come across this morning :)
Go into your phone's WiFi settings and rather than accepting the car's DHCP IP addressing, set a static address using exactly the same IPs, but leave the router IP blank.
The app will still connect to the car and you can see all the settings, but you will still have access to the internet over cellular.

I've not tested this thoroughly, so proceed at your own risk ;)

ATB,
Kev.

Does this also help with buggy Bluetooth when wifi is connected? I have the issue where calls and audio keeping dropping out any time my iphone is connected via the car wifi. I've been using the WIFI Priority app to prevent automatic wifi connection - which seems less reliable post iOS 9.1

I am so close for getting a solution to adding 3g connectivity to the PHEV!!

I plan on leaving a samsung galaxy s3 in the car permanently. I will purchase an extended capacity battery and external battery pack that will charge when the car is turned on. This should ensure the battery never goes flat. I signed up for freedom pop (free UK sim service with 200mb data per month). I use the application mobizen which allows me to connect to the phone over 3g. It is free and works fine. You can connect to it using any desktop/laptop as a client but I figured a workaround on my galaxy s5 by installing firefox with the extension phony. You can enable an option to trick the site to think its a desktop and allows you to access the s3 from another android device.

The only issue I have now is having the 3g connection active while wifi is connected. I tried the suggestions in the beginning of this thread but the s3 wont allow a blank gateway. My other option is rooting the phone and setting up some scripts to force both connections to be active at the same time. I have found these threads which may help:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1640472&page=2
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2197776

I will try and test these scripts when I get a free moment. Until then does anyone have any insight for simultaneous 3g and wifi?

Back