SpaceSaver tyre

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevnorth

I am thinking about purchasing a SpaceSaver tyre because the PHev dose not coming with one . I can putting it in the boot on long journeys
Would the diesel spaceSaver do the job

As you don't have a place to put a spacesaver and you're just going to put it in the boot occasionally, why not get a full size spare that you can use to rotate with other tyres and drive at normal speeds?

Wasn't there an issue with using a space saver due to the extra weight of the battery system?

I think someone here investigated this and the only safe option was to buy another PHEV alloy, which was around £600.

Not sure if this might just have been backside covering tactics from the dealer though.

Hi,
I investigated this when I bought the car for the same reason. The conclusion in the end was that although the diesel space saver would fit onto the wheel the electric 4 wheel drive didn't like it. There are lots of warnings in the user manual to replace both tyres on the same axel if you need to replace one tyre for the same reason.
While the price of the genuine alloys circa £600 was a reason not to buy one, I also measured how much boot space I'd lose with a full space wheel and found it was a great deal! The only time I'd actually carry the spare would be airport runs and that's also the same time I need all the boot space too.
I did find some Outlander used wheels that were the same dimensions for about £140 including tyre on Ebay but the space issue made me decide against.
Kind regards,
Mark

I use my car for business and being self-employed I can't afford to let a client down because of a flat tyre. This is the first car I have had with no spare wheel and I am really uncomfortable that anything other than a small puncture will probably result in me having to call on the Mitsubishi Recovery service. Having just fitted winter tyres my options are:

1) to accept the small risk
2) carry one of the OEM wheels as a spare for longer journeys and lose a lot of boot space
3) find a suitable space saver

At the moment I am using 1) for local journeys and 2) for journeys where I am travelling to a client.

However, I had a chat with the Service manager at Mitsubishi this morning and he gave me the dimensions of the normal Outlander Space Saver wheel/tyre:

Code: 16x 4T4250C941 Size: 155/90/16

I checked the diameter at http://tire-size-conversion.com/tyre-size-calculator/ which gave the following:

OutlanderSpareTyre.jpg

The difference in diameter seems very small and I can't see why the car shouldn't deal with it for a short distance and the weight with one person in it shouldn't exceed a fully loaded 7 seater for which the space saver is intended.

I know this has been researched before but I'd like to explore it further before giving up!

Mark, if you don't mind sharing a bit more about your research on this it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

With the transition to no spares in a lot of cars one of the mainstream breakdown services really should add an emergency replacement tyre service as a chargeable option with the same expected attendance time as a general breakdown. Whichever one did it first could find themselves having quite a competitive advantage.

The solution is to use tyres with run-flat technology. You can drive for 30 miles on a flat tyre at reduced speed.

I have just been the victim of the dreaded puncture with no spare. Had a large piece of steel, something a farmer could have trimmed from equipment with a plasma cutter. Was about 50mm long and 12mm wide with thickness taper from 7mm down to 2mm. Sliced straight into the tread. The Tyre Dog monitor picked up the slow leak at 28psi. Could hear the air leak when car was stopped. Pumped the tyre up to 38psi and continued until the warning sounded again, [about 20km]. Repaeated for another 80km to a town that had tyre servicing. Did not use the bottle of gunk as the repair crew charge double for a repair.

I too have considered a space saver tyre, but am now considering a full size spare, as pumping the tyre in good weather is OK, I would not be happy in the rain.

jaapv said:
The solution is to use tyres with run-flat technology. You can drive for 30 miles on a flat tyre at reduced speed.

I've had a look at various sites, ATS Euromaster, National, eTyres, myTyres, blackcircle, etc, etc.

Can't find anyone that does a runflat tyre for 225/55/R18.

Shame as Pirelli do a Scorp run flat all weather which would have been a great option, just not at the above spec.

jaapv said:

I was looking into that, but my attempts at finding proper run-flats in the right size for a PHEV did not meet with a lot of success.

maby said:
jaapv said:

I was looking into that, but my attempts at finding proper run-flats in the right size for a PHEV did not meet with a lot of success.
Try Continental

Run flats are a reasonable alternative but usually have to be replaced after a puncture. We had two punctures in two years on a BMW which cost us a lot of money.

Also - you can only travel a limited distance - if I have a puncture with 70 miles still to go - I might as well not have run-flats!

I'm looking at a compromise of a spare 16" steel wheel with a 215/70/16 tyre - not too expensive to buy (or replace if stolen from the boot) and should take a little less space (height) than the full fat alloy. Cheaper to buy than the space-saver too.

But you will have the ******ng thing in your boot....
70 miles should suffice to reach the nearest tyre service centre.

jaapv said:
But you will have the ******ng thing in your boot....
70 miles should suffice to reach the nearest tyre service centre.

So what - nothing else will be in my boot on most of my journeys. It is all down to personal choice and the level of risk you want to take when travelling on particular trips. It takes less than a minute to chuck the spare in the boot if you want to take it.

If people want to use run-flats they will get no objection from me. I merely point out that they can be expensive if you get a puncture. As can filling your tyre with the supplied sealant!

Well, charger cable, Mennekes cable, fire extinguisher (obligatory in Belgium), first aid kit (obligatory in Germany), ten litre Jerrycan, spout for same, triangle, removable towing hitch, two umbrellas, and three dogs.... To start with. :mrgreen:

jaapv said:
Well, charger cable, Mennekes cable, fire extinguisher (obligatory in Belgium), first aid kit (obligatory in Germany), ten litre Jerrycan, spout for same, triangle, removable towing hitch, two umbrellas, and three dogs.... To start with. :mrgreen:

Looks like the spare in the boot isn't an alternative for you then!! :D I suspect the doggies may object to the lack of space.

Mine is empty apart from the two wells on either side which hold the Mennekes cable, tow rope etc. All gear goes into two round bags http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003CKC24M?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage which are really neat.

The fire extinguisher I keep in the passenger door panel and the tow hitch is fixed as it has a Pendle hang on tow bar rack http://www.pendle-bike.co.uk/shopping/hang-on-tb.php.

jaapv said:
maby said:
jaapv said:

Try Continental

Looked at Continental and they don't have anything listed on their website.

Bilbo59 said:
Mark, if you don't mind sharing a bit more about your research on this it would be appreciated.
Bill
Hi Bill,

When I purchased the PHEV I asked the local dealer about a space saver spare. He checked with head office and confirmed that while the diesel space saver should physically fit the car (as the diesel and PHEV have the same size standard wheels) head office specifically stated that one should NOT be used although they didn't back that up with a reason.
The manual has quite a few warnings about runing different size tyres etc and from memory specifically says that if you need to replace one tyre you should also replace the other tyre on the same axel. I vaguely remember reading (maybe not from the manual though) that the electronic drive system is less able to cope with different sized wheels.

My solution, as far as it goes, was to buy a TPMS (since my car didn't have one fitted as standard) in order to get an early warning of loss of pressure and to buy a tyre plug kit so if I do get a puncture I have a fair chance of repairing it myself without using the gunk. The gunk would be a last resort if I am on a time sensitive trip such as an airport departure.

I would still be interested in a space saver tyre if it could be confirmed by Mitsubishi that it wouldn't potentially damage the electronic drive system, otherwise it could turn out to be a VERY expensive puncture.

Kind regards,
Mark

Thanks Mark,

Sounds logical but interesting that they didn't give an engineering reason. In the end I have opted for a spare 16" steel wheel with a 215/70/16 tyre which has almost exactly the same diameter as the 18" alloys with Vredestein winter tyres. The car should have been designed with a diff that can deal with conditions with different ground conditions/surfaces on each side, where one tyre is softer than the other etc etc so I think it should handle a slightly narrower wheel/tyre with the same diameter on one corner for a while. I can't see how this would be worse than a run-flat tyre with a puncture or a repaired tyre running more softly or even letting go again.

I could be wrong and hopefully I will never find out - however, I can now set off on longer journeys to see clients feeling more confident that I can actually get there on time, do my work and not be stopped by something as simple as a puncture!

I think the solutions will be different for each individual owner based on needs/beliefs/risks etc with no 'right' answer for everyone.

Cheers,

Bill

Back