Speed Limiter - Does anyone use it?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Albacore

Just wondering whether any of you guys use the Speed limiter?

I tend to use the ACC and love it - I tend to stick it to the speed limit in 30,40 & 50 zones and let the car do the rest. Works really well and takes stress out of whether or not you are speeding.

So with the speed limiter - I haven't tried it yet - if you were heavy right footed, would it still consume the battery resource at the rate of the heavy foot, or would consumption be limited to the speed that is set? Just trying to get my head around whether the limiter would be better to use than ACC.

Cheers

I tried it once, can't see the point of it. Just set the cruise control. Does the same thing without you having to think about it!

I use it all the time - to conserve my licence, not fuel! I spend much of my time driving round Southampton and, as I can painfully testify, they are particularly unforgiving when it comes to speed limits. They also have a lot of speed cameras installed and most of them seem to be active... I don't use it while cruising - that I do on cruise control.

I know what you mean about Southampton. The only time I have been caught speeding was there... might deploy the limiter if I go near!!

Albacore said:
Just wondering whether any of you guys use the Speed limiter?

I tend to use the ACC and love it - I tend to stick it to the speed limit in 30,40 & 50 zones and let the car do the rest. Works really well and takes stress out of whether or not you are speeding.

So with the speed limiter - I haven't tried it yet - if you were heavy right footed, would it still consume the battery resource at the rate of the heavy foot, or would consumption be limited to the speed that is set? Just trying to get my head around whether the limiter would be better to use than ACC.

Cheers
Consumption will be limited by the speed set, but your heavy foot would still be present on acceleration up to the limit - and that drinks electricity/petrol even more.

I find ACC somewhat unpractical in (sub)urban traffic. It is a bit nervous and the car tends to put on a burst of speed when it loses the one in front on roudabouts - quite disconcerting.

There are stretches where I do use the speed limiter to relieve strain on my wallet - and avoid being reprimanded by SWMBO ;).

I use it all the time.

In the city (Bristol) to keep at 30mph max, and on the motorway to keep a max of <insert number>, but the M4 is so busy it means you can rest your foot on the accelerator and drop off, resume as needed.

I find on the M4, unless you're on there at 10pm on a wednesday night, cruise control is never useable.
And ACC doesn't work as it lets too many cars cut in front of you, only to then speed up when they revert to their previous lane. Not very fuel efficient.

One thing I miss from my previous car (Škoda Octavia) is a small ledge next to the accelerator where you can rest your right foot when cruise control is on. I end up putting it flat on the floor (away from the pedal, obvs :)), but I worry it might add a few tenths to my speed onto the brake.

Use it all the time. Great for road works (M1) where traffic speeds go up and down. I just set it at 55 and I know I won't get caught out (I will also use cruse as well if the road is clear ahead). Will also use the speed limiter in unfamiliar areas where I can concentrate on where I am and not how fast I'm going.

Thanks guys, I think I should test it out. ACC can be a bit scary sometimes when it lurches ahead, especially on bends where the car in front 'disappears', perhaps the limiter is a better idea, I'll give it a go :) I suppose there is more chance to coast in B0 with the limiter too....

I use it when going through a 20mph zone as the ACC won't go that low ... it really upsets the drivers behind me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You know you can exceed the speed limit anyway.
Drove with a camping trailer this summer and set it to 80 km/h (limit for trailers in Norway).
When you reach the limit the acc pedal get HARD to press :)
But if you press it all the way down it overrides the limit.
I don't know if this is some kind of safety thing....

Back