Strange button on outlander 2.4, can somebody identify purpose?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello,
I've recently bought an outlander 2.4L 4HS in the UK and I noticed a strange button (The AC 1500W button on the right). When buying it I thought it was for supplying AC electricity to a plug socket the car would presumably have. Unfortunately in the places where I thought the plug sockets should be, there is just a blank square/ standard 12v socket. Why would this button exist if the sockets don't?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-02-12 at 20.53.38.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-02-12 at 20.53.38.jpeg
    577.5 KB · Views: 143
I'm jealous of the features that you have that I don't have.

Is that a heated steering wheel and blind spot warning?

I had a quick look online to see where the sockets are supposed to be, and I'm assuming that you did the same, so I can't help you there.

However, as to why...

... It's probably much cheaper for the manufacturer to have less changes that they have to manage for options.

(i.e. a standard button panel, even if the sockets/wiring aren't installed)

Mine wasn't like that, I have blank button fillers for the features that weren't provided with the Australian version of the car.
(Lane departure warning for example)

If you press that button, does it light up?

Is that a heated steering wheel and blind spot warning?
yes, it is. We ended up going for the 4hs model as the Mrs liked the idea of parking sensors (despite the fact it comes with the 360 camera on lower spec) and it wasn't that much more expensive.

In terms of the button, I thought it might have just been something the factory left on so I did look on auto trader at other cars of the same spec level and couldn't find any others with the button. Plus, wouldn't the factory be more likely to just fit a blank?

I've not got the button to light up although sometimes the buttons only work under certain conditions (such as the heated screen only works below a specific temperature)

Mine has that button and it activates the "household" 240 AC socket between the seats facing rearwards and the one in the boot. It is to the German Instyle specification, so the heated windscreen (I presume) is blanked out.

Yes, thats what I would have expected but instead I just have the standard 12v sockets, and the button does not affect them. I also do have the front heated windscreen.

In the US the rear 12 boot compartment socket is 120V 1500WAC instead of 12 V. This is the control switch.

mikepotts64 said:
In the US the rear 12 boot compartment socket is 120V 1500WAC instead of 12 V. This is the control switch.

But his picture clearly shows 120W on the outlet cover. :?

You need to disassebmle all covers and check the AC inverter and wirings for AC outlets.

But if the AC indicator don't flashes then it's just a buuton without other components. Maybe someone replased the button for some reasons

amiralnar said:
You need to disassebmle all covers and check the AC inverter and wirings for AC outlets.

But if the AC indicator don't flashes then it's just a buuton without other components. Maybe someone replased the button for some reasons

Do you know where the inverter normally is? I was also thinking of looking if the button was wired up to anything but I'm not sure how to take it off without snapping something 😅

Back