Switching off AVAS

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MHS

Has anyone switched off the Acoustic Vehicle Alerting System?

I was trying to think why you might want to, other than showing off how quiet the car is to your friends. I came up with a few (silly, please don't take this seriously) suggestions.

1) For drive by shootings or stalking a deer.

2) For creeping up on elderly people (like my dad) to see if their pace maker works correctly.

3) To sneak home late while not waking your partner.

4) To steal you neighbours PHEV

Any more ideas?

Because it's the most irritating and annoying noise that's ever been invented in the history of noises.

More annoying than a Professor at Annoysville Univeresity who has just been promoted to the head of the Annoying Noise Department and who has invented a new annoying noise to celebrate.

That's why. :D

Stu said:
Because it's the most irritating and annoying noise that's ever been invented in the history of noises.

More annoying than a Professor at Annoysville Univeresity who has just been promoted to the head of the Annoying Noise Department and who has invented a new annoying noise to celebrate.

That's why. :D
Is it bad then? I need to ask SWMBO to drive by, so I can listen to it.

It sound like something out of Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Always turn ours off because I enjoy making people jump in car parks! :mrgreen:

I did it to sneak up on a couple dithering on the corner of the road. Scared the #@*& out of them.

I'm beginning to wonder if mine is broken - I've tested with it on and off and cannot detect any difference.

I can understand why it is there though, previous previous car was a Gen II Prius, EV'ing through a carp park and there was a pair of doves in the road. I thought that they would get out of the way..... One didn't and I went right over it with the front tyre!

maby said:
I'm beginning to wonder if mine is broken - I've tested with it on and off and cannot detect any difference.

I have wondered the same. Guess I was expecting a more audible sound. With heaters and radio off, I can just make out a faint low frequency beeping noise while driving between 10 and 20 mph. My hearing is excellent and I can just hear it if I'm listening for it. Neither my wife nor son can hear it from inside the car. I thought opening the window might help me to hear it, but then the tyre road noise masks anything the AVAS might be emitting. And when I've asked others outside to listen for it, nobody can hear anything over the (already quiet) tyre/road noise. Finally when my wife has driven off and I've been outside listening for it, I can't hear anything. So all in all, I've concluded that (i) it's pointless, or (ii) mine is also broken!

NAPpy said:
I can understand why it is there though, previous previous car was a Gen II Prius, EV'ing through a carp park and there was a pair of doves in the road. I thought that they would get out of the way..... One didn't and I went right over it with the front tyre!
So with the four wheel drive Phev, you will be able to sneak up on seal cubs next.
And I thought all EV drivers bought them as they loved the environment!!

Just noticed you were driving in a Carp Park. Did you check if all the fish were ok?

Got to admit I just assumed mine was broken since I have never heard an AVAS beep of any kind from mine. Either that, or like posted here, the tyre noise volume is high enough to mask this.

It doesn't 'beep' ... it's more of a melodic wirey grinding noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEivtfIVNow

NAPpy said:

That's probably the best way to describe it. It's how I would imagine a flying saucer would sound.

OK well it seems pretty lame. Does it come from a speaker or sounder of some sort, there must be an opening here for an aftermarket upgrade!

How about a remote control programmable one? So you can set it to make say, Sleigh bells sound at Christmas, or seagulls when at the seaside. Perhaps a Beach Boys number during summer days and a Wolf howl at night..

BobEngineer said:
OK well it seems pretty lame. Does it come from a speaker or sounder of some sort, there must be an opening here for an aftermarket upgrade!

How about a remote control programmable one? So you can set it to make say, Sleigh bells sound at Christmas, or seagulls when at the seaside. Perhaps a Beach Boys number during summer days and a Wolf howl at night..

I like that idea, I'd go for the Imperial March theme from Star Wars

rtw said:
It doesn't 'beep' ... it's more of a melodic wirey grinding noise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEivtfIVNow

I've never heard anything like that from our PHEV!

NAPpy said:

Always turn ours off because I enjoy making people jump in car parks! :mrgreen:

how do you turn it off?

Back