Telephone Call Volume & TPMS

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tristar500

Morning All,

I have been running my GX4H for almost 3 weeks now and I am very pleased with it. Just two things, can the 'in call' volume be increased as I am struggling to hear the other party during a call. Maybe this is just old and age and poverty. Secondly, does the TPMS exist and if so can the individual pressures be viewed or set? If so, where?! Or is it just the case that if a tyre has a reduced pressure the car will 'tell' you via a message?

Cheers

I was under the impression that the volume control on the steering wheel adjusted the telephone volume during a call.

All recently supplied cars seem to include the TPMS, but it is just an alarm - you cannot read tyre pressures in real time. The configuration is buried in the settings for the status display in the middle of the main instrument panel - it is not related to the MMCS in any way. Look towards the end of chapter 7 of the manual

TPMS uses the ABS sensors to determine individual wheels' rotational nuances - so it can detect when a tyre is going flat due to it's rotational characteristics. It works best at higher speeds and is designed as a warning before you flop to the rim...

As such the system doesn't actually know what the pressures are, it simply guesses when one wheel started behaving differently.

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I did try using the steering wheel volume during a call and it didn't make any difference, maybe it is already at the max volume.

My old Mondeo Estate used to tell me the individual tyre pressures at each corner and highlight which one had a problem. That was an ancient system as well. That used tyre valves to record the pressures. My old Audi A4 Avant used the 'wheel shape' system. So much for progress!

There is no mention in the AUS shipped PHEV manual of any TPMS. The floor mats get a section though.

The after market valve stem TPMS give great peace of mind and will pay for themselves if a single tyre is saved with a slow leak problem. These will only fail safe.

Tristar500 said:
Thanks for the replies chaps.

I did try using the steering wheel volume during a call and it didn't make any difference, maybe it is already at the max volume.

My old Mondeo Estate used to tell me the individual tyre pressures at each corner and highlight which one had a problem. That was an ancient system as well. That used tyre valves to record the pressures. My old Audi A4 Avant used the 'wheel shape' system. So much for progress!

There's pros and cons to both approaches - the valves with sensors built in are quite expensive and not necessarily very long lived - they are in a pretty hostile environment, you know. There are also issues using them on a car that carries no spare and may rely on the use of a tyre repair kit like the Outlander - squirting in that latex sealer usually destroys an intelligent valve that will cost over £50 to replace.

This thread has just reminded me of an episode many years ago that has brought a smile to my face... My son (then around 7 years old) made friends with a young street urchin from a couple of miles away and they used to visit each other's houses quite often. At the time, I drove an ancient Landrover van and one afternoon, I gave the two of them a lift to the other boy's house. I had one of those emergency tyre repair cylinders in the back along with other tools - the pressurised kind that doesn't need an electric pump. I heard this youngster (he had a strong Irish accent) ask my son "What's this?". This was immediately followed by a loud hissing gurgle and when I stopped and turned round, he was completely encased in latex foam - it's amazing how much one of those cylinders can produce! I took him home, deposited him at his front door and beat a hasty retreat. His mother didn't let him come back.....

Can you still say urchin?! :lol:

And just to complete my cycle of stupidity I took a phone call last night whilst stuck in traffic and whilst talking furiously pushed the volume control on the steering wheel and hey presto the volume did increase! The Outlander does appear to have a very subtle volume control. I am used to a gauge of about 1 to 15 not 1 to 100 of whatever it goes up to. A couple of pushes of the volume button in the Mondy and it would have been like having the good Lord's voice booming out. So on the tyre front I am actually going to have to bend down and use my digital tyre pressure gauge that has been redundant for the last 3 years.....shocker!

maby said:
Tristar500 said:

There's pros and cons to both approaches - the valves with sensors built in are quite expensive and not necessarily very long lived - they are in a pretty hostile environment, you know. There are also issues using them on a car that carries no spare and may rely on the use of a tyre repair kit like the Outlander - squirting in that latex sealer usually destroys an intelligent valve that will cost over £50 to replace.
Hi,

My TPMS cost about £85 all in and replacement sensors are about £30 (I think). It doesn't replace the valves, just the dust caps, so no issue if you use the emergency sealer. The peace of mind it gives with not having a spare is substantial. Details in my signature.

Kind regards,
Mark

I think the Steelmate system is quite nice, if you plug in the readout unit under the dash it is very well placed.

Tristar500 said:
Morning All,

I have been running my GX4H for almost 3 weeks now and I am very pleased with it. Just two things, can the 'in call' volume be increased as I am struggling to hear the other party during a call. Maybe this is just old and age and poverty. Secondly, does the TPMS exist and if so can the individual pressures be viewed or set? If so, where?! Or is it just the case that if a tyre has a reduced pressure the car will 'tell' you via a message?

Cheers

You should look at the TPMS thread - if you have only had the car 3 weeks then you will almost certainly have the in tyre sensors not the indirect ABS system described here. If you look at the left hand "dial" on power up you should see the warning light come on briefly at about 4 o'clock. As I understand the manual etc. it only tells you of major loss of pressure - very cheap tech :(

Back