Towing heavy equipment

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steepndeep

Thought I share my experience towing heavy equipment.

I rented a Skylift weighing 1800 kg and it was no problem towing it. Rental site was 15 km away and I just managed this on battery, i.e. 15 km one way not towing and then returning with Skylift. Battery however depletes quickly while towing. Other than that all went smoothly.

Second attempt was moving my boat sitting on a trailer in my backyard. Total weight 2800 kg, way overload I know. Boat has been sitting there for a while so all 4 boggie wheels where stuck in the ground and I also missed to remove one small plank stopping the trailer from moving. Strategy was to use 4WDLock to send power to both motors immediately. First attempt was in eco mode (not by choice, just forgot I had it engaged) and that proved utterly useless. Car and trailer was on level ground, my lawn, and it was dry. All four wheels had good traction. Second attempt was without eco mode and not really flooring the pedal but giving quite a lot of gas. Car pulled strongly but did not manage to get the trailer out of the "holes" the wheels were stuck in. Reverse and then trying again actually got the trailer out and also over the plank. Impressed by the pulling power. This attempt also started the ICE but the ICE did not have time to kick in to move the trailer. So all on battery only.

Now, all four wheels had really good traction and the car is then very strong. I know (since I have played with it a bit in winter) that if one wheel started spinning this would not have worked at all. But if you at all times have all wheels on good traction the car has very good pulling power.

If you put the car into 4WD mode, and one or more wheels start slipping, you may have reduced your available power.

(because you're forcing the car to route power to the motor that doesn't have traction)

In any slipping event, I would always try to disengage 4WD mode to see if that assists.

If I've read the manual correctly, 4WD mode is for driving on a loose surface like a gravel road, not for pulling things out of holes.

:?

That's my understanding, anyway.

Andy

Back