Tyre issues

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick2b

I've posted this on another thread, but, as it seems so important, I have copied it onto here too.
The note below is an update to ongoing electrical issues I have.

No fix yet!
However, I do have an explanation following another technical note from Mitsubishi - BUT, either the solution is not correct or Mitsubishi have a serious problem.
Mitsubishi have instructed that the EV Service Warning light will illuminate when:

The vehicle is fitted with tyres:
of different makes, or
of different tread patterns, or
of differing rolling radii caused by different wear rates - NO TOLERANCE!!

Though this sounds completely implausible, the problem started after KwikFit had fitted 2 new Continental tyres (they said they couldn't get hold of replacement Toyo's).
So, Mitsubishi have now called Kwikfit and informed them of the issue. Kwikfit have ordered another 2 new tyres.

Fortunately for me it is a company car so I don't have to pay - I'm sure the Leasing company won't be impressed.
As it stands, according to this diagnosis, if you need to replace a tyre you may need 4!!
Apparently due to the sensetivity of the driving motors.

Like I said, I can scarcely believe this, but I'll get the new ones fitted and see.

This is not an unknown issue on a number of vehicles with sensitive traction control systems.

I used to drive Land Rover Discovery's and they were also known to be very sensitive to similar issues.
It was well known that new tyres should always be fitted to the rear and always fitted in matching pairs.
Mixing tread patterns was also a source of problems so one to avoid.
So if you had Goodyears ( or Pirellis) you fitted the same or swapped all 4

TBH sounds like KwikFit fitted the most expensive tyre they had (Continental) rather than trying to match the tyres.

I would always try to stick with the tyres fitted by the manufacturer unless you need all terrain or mud tyres in which case you should always swap all 4.

ATS didn't have any Toyos (in fact didn't have any of the MItsu size tyres in stock!) after 2 days I had a single Michelin fitted ( http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1125 ) but no warning lights after, all fine. Like you, lease car maintained so get what I'm given.

I had to run for about 100km with a tyre that had a leak. Had to pump it up every 25km. Even with the tyre quite visibly flat, I never had any messages from the car.

I believe that it is only the cars with TPMS that may get the warning messages.

Will keep the aftermarket TPMS and not worry about the factory system. Over time it is quite difficult to get really even tyre wear. I now have a spare and will keep an eye on any messages that may appear if it is needed.

I have recently purchased a spare tyre for my forthcoming extended trip away. Did not want an identical spare alloy rim, so I went for a steel rim, and only 16". Had a 70 profile TOYO HT Open Country M+S 215/70R16 100H size fitted. Original tyres are TOYO A24 M+S 225/55R18 98H.

I have checked and the PHEV has no warning messages display with the tyre on the rear when driven up to 100kph. This is an AUS shipped PHEV without TPMS, but all the other safety systems.

Can't shed any light on different tyres, unless there is a huge difference in the rolling dia that is causing a problem.

Well, they were right.

New tyres fitted (4 for a puncture in 1!) and the problem is fixed.
Glad that £800 was covered by the leasing company.

nick2b said:
I've posted this on another thread, but, as it seems so important, I have copied it onto here too.
The note below is an update to ongoing electrical issues I have.

No fix yet!
However, I do have an explanation following another technical note from Mitsubishi - BUT, either the solution is not correct or Mitsubishi have a serious problem.
Mitsubishi have instructed that the EV Service Warning light will illuminate when:

The vehicle is fitted with tyres:
of different makes, or
of different tread patterns, or
of differing rolling radii caused by different wear rates - NO TOLERANCE!!

Though this sounds completely implausible, the problem started after KwikFit had fitted 2 new Continental tyres (they said they couldn't get hold of replacement Toyo's).
So, Mitsubishi have now called Kwikfit and informed them of the issue. Kwikfit have ordered another 2 new tyres.

Fortunately for me it is a company car so I don't have to pay - I'm sure the Leasing company won't be impressed.
As it stands, according to this diagnosis, if you need to replace a tyre you may need 4!!
Apparently due to the sensetivity of the driving motors.

Like I said, I can scarcely believe this, but I'll get the new ones fitted and see.

As I have said above, this seems to be a problem with cars shipped to Europe. At least my PHEV works with a different tyre as a spare. Sort of feel sorry for prospective buyers to have to replace all 4 tyres if they wear unevenly.

gwatpe said:
I had to run for about 100km with a tyre that had a leak. Had to pump it up every 25km. Even with the tyre quite visibly flat, I never had any messages from the car.

I believe that it is only the cars with TPMS that may get the warning messages.

Will keep the aftermarket TPMS and not worry about the factory system. Over time it is quite difficult to get really even tyre wear. I now have a spare and will keep an eye on any messages that may appear if it is needed.
I think this is the correct explanation.

Why would TPMS cause the problem as they merely monitor the tyre pressure. Surely it is some other sensor that can recognise imbalances - like the ABS :?: Presumably you could just drive on with the warning light. :eek:

Aftermarket ones do. A TPMS that integrates with the car electronics, though... Cars that do not have TPMS do not show this behavior AFAIK, or up until now...

Back