Tyre Pressures

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avesnes

I've just taken delivery of a GX4h and either I've missed something obvious or I'm totally out of date with modern tyre technology.

Am I reading things correctly? The handbook and the inside of the driver's door both say 35psi all round and 38 all round for speeds of 99mph and above.

However, I've just measured the pressures and it looks like the dealer has put in 35 in the fronts and 38 in the rears which if you read the handbook ignoring the asterisk, you can understand why that has happened. The 35 seems to be associated with greyed title "Front" and the 38 with the greyed title "Rear"

Also, all my previous cars have also given pressures for a fully laden vehicle. Does the Outlander have the same pressures regardless of load -- I'm thinking of, say, driver plus three adults plus holiday luggage? Thanks in advance for any clarification of both questions.

It would appear so?.
Two weeks after picking up my GX4h The tyre pressure warning lit up. I Doesn't tell which tyre....pain!!
I checked all of them and they were all at 33psi. Not only did the car have an empty washer bottle when I picked it up causing a real problem the first long drive I did three days after collection as it was filthy weather AND causing me therefore to be driving illegally! But they obviously did not check the tyre pressures.

I didn't up my pressures when fully loaded on holiday - I assume the additional weight is only marginal on the PHEV, unlike old fashioned cars. :lol:

I am very happy to run mine @ 40 PSI at 15 C. under all loads. Makes the car less susceptible to length ridges in the road surface.

jaapv said:
I am very happy to run mine @ 40 PSI at 15 C. under all loads. Makes the car less susceptible to length ridges in the road surface.

Is it not possible that having over inflated the tyres, your insurance company could walk away in the event of an accident? :(

When I first read the manual I thought the section on tyre pressures was poorly presented. I stick to 35 psi all round.
When I once collected a new Xtrail from the dealer and noted a bumpy ride, I found the tyres to be all at or over 45 psi. Some dealers aren't diligent enough to check the pressures before handover, as with the washer reservoir, I guess.

greendwarf said:
jaapv said:

Is it not possible that having over inflated the tyres, your insurance company could walk away in the event of an accident? :(
It is well within the range. They would not try to make such a fool of themselves. Nothing to do with over-inflating. When the temperature gets low, they are hardly at 35 PSI, when running on the motorway, pressures get much higher, even more so on tyres that are inflated to lower pressures when cold.

jaapv said:
It is well within the range. They would not try to make such a fool of themselves. Nothing to do with over-inflating. When the temperature gets low, they are hardly at 35 PSI, when running on the motorway, pressures get much higher, even more so on tyres that are inflated to lower pressures when cold.

I agree. A couple of pounds over is of little or no consequence and may well improve rolling resistance, which is why I do the same, including my two wheelers ( all of them inc the 650 and the electric bikes).

Blowouts on motorways are much more likely due to overheating of underinflated tyres.

JimB

Claymore said:
Blowouts on motorways are much more likely due to overheating of underinflated tyres.

Wheel pressure sensors like I have monitor "psi" and also "temperature" of individual tyres, with an LCD display of either, unlike the factory fitted TPMS. Alarms for "over and under pressure" and "over" temp are std features.

Yep, it is surprising how much variation the display shows. I would not be without one, especially on a car without spare wheel.

Hi to gwatpe and jaapv.

I would be interested in the systems that you have in place for tyres. Are they readily available and easy to fit?

Thanks.

I had one with an LCD which showed temp, etc on my last car, but didn't like the clutter, so now I have a Steelmate one that has a small display for pressure that pops into the cigarette lighter socket. Ideal spot. http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Monitoring-STEELMATE%C2%AE-Cigarette-Accessories/dp/B015QTPIOC
The sensors just screw on.

4000 miles on the clock , also got low tyre pressure warning. 35 psi all round, though possibly 33 in the front nearside. And not easy to check when you are on your own in the dark! And agree - why would I want more pressure when going faster?

I had to check as a colleague had the same issue on his Golluf, when he checked he found a nail in the tyre. I didn't dare ignore the warning!

You want more pressure when going faster because

A tyre that is underinflated will have more heat build-up and more chance of a blowout.
You will use more energy because the resistance will be higher.
You will lose adhesion because the tread pattern will be deformed
You will have a higher chance of aquaplaning because the tread pattern "closes up"
You will wear the tyre down faster - a lot.

My valves have nuts holding them into the rims. Presumably all PHEVs do? I assumed that these were because the TP monitor gizmo was INSIDE the rim.
If so. Are you not interfering with the OE if you remove them. I presume you would HAVE to remove them before fitting the kit from Amazon?
I assume the OE is similar to this?

My TPMS replace the dust cap on the valve stem as I have no factory TPMS either. No reason you could not add to any vehicle with a factory TPMS though.

I do get false positive measurements when driving at high speed on very corrugated rough dirt roads.

Both Netherlands and OZ must be different specs or ages. I will have a look at my dealership when I take the car in for it's first service on 18/3

Hi Jaapva
Mine is 21/11/14 model year, with TPMS which has been a requirement in uk since 2014
But it is a pain to have to find out which is the "flat/overinflated" wheel it is
Mike
4hs frost white

Back