Tyre recommendations

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting to follow this discussion, and in particular the reference to insurance issues switching to other tyre dimensions. So I just wanted to share my experience from Sweden.

TPMS is not mandatory in Sweden and I run winter tyres without TPMS system and it works perfectly, apart from the annoying warning signal on the dashboard.

Wintertyres are mandatory in Sweden and there are numerous tests in scandinavian countries on which is the best winter tyre. And one thing is for sure, the OEM Toyos are rubbish (I would say lethal) in winter and also illegal is Sweden. So saying that the insurance company require OEM tyres is at least illegal (and also stupid) in Scandinavian countries.

In winter up north when there is a lot of snow and not so many snowploughs you want skinny tyres in winter. I run 215/70-16 (the skinniest I could find) in winter and 225/55-18 in summer. No problem whatsoever.

I have a hard time seeing the PHEV knowing the diameter of a tyre as long as all tyres on the car are of same dimension. You could probably run 20cm smaller diameter (if it fits) and the car would not know it. The car would not behave well at all but the sw would not know. IF the car should recognise the diameter it must either have a diameter sensor or compare GPS speed with tyre rotation. I do not think it does either, but it may surprise in this area (perhaps:).

So running 235/55-18 would not be a problem for the car sw. at all. Check that it does not hit the wheelwell in sharp turns though.

On the Brittish insurance system I cannot tell, but seeing the comments here it looks like you need to bring some common sense into it. You need good tyres on the car and depending on roadconditions the supplied OEMS are sometimes OK, never excellent and in some conditions (pure winter) absolutely dangerous and lethal, and illegal in Sweden, Finland and Norway.

On Costco, they usually have a Michelin 4 tyre discount offer on a couple of times a year.
There's one on now. My hope/plan is that they will have the next one in Spring 2018 and also have Crossclimates back in stock.

Steepndeep said:
Interesting to follow this discussion, and in particular the reference to insurance issues switching to other tyre dimensions. So I just wanted to share my experience from Sweden.

TPMS is not mandatory in Sweden and I run winter tyres without TPMS system and it works perfectly, apart from the annoying warning signal on the dashboard.

Wintertyres are mandatory in Sweden and there are numerous tests in scandinavian countries on which is the best winter tyre. And one thing is for sure, the OEM Toyos are rubbish (I would say lethal) in winter and also illegal is Sweden. So saying that the insurance company require OEM tyres is at least illegal (and also stupid) in Scandinavian countries.

In winter up north when there is a lot of snow and not so many snowploughs you want skinny tyres in winter. I run 215/70-16 (the skinniest I could find) in winter and 225/55-18 in summer. No problem whatsoever.

I have a hard time seeing the PHEV knowing the diameter of a tyre as long as all tyres on the car are of same dimension. You could probably run 20cm smaller diameter (if it fits) and the car would not know it. The car would not behave well at all but the sw would not know. IF the car should recognise the diameter it must either have a diameter sensor or compare GPS speed with tyre rotation. I do not think it does either, but it may surprise in this area (perhaps:).

So running 235/55-18 would not be a problem for the car sw. at all. Check that it does not hit the wheelwell in sharp turns though.

On the Brittish insurance system I cannot tell, but seeing the comments here it looks like you need to bring some common sense into it. You need good tyres on the car and depending on roadconditions the supplied OEMS are sometimes OK, never excellent and in some conditions (pure winter) absolutely dangerous and lethal, and illegal in Sweden, Finland and Norway.

Hi and thanks for you input. On a more personal note let me admit happy to see Swedes here as well, because I come to PHEV from a Saabs-only world and as such pretty much used to Swedish forums, and Swedish winters for that matter. :) Here we don't have that long and tough snowy winters (usually, that is... At least not as tough as the Scandinavian ones). And because I drive only some 10-12 kkm's per year and 90% big city routes - for me, the all-seasoned CrossClimates might fit best. They did very good in ADAC, Autobild and Auto Express tests - both in winter and in summer conditions! That said - it's obviously not suited for your area :) By the way, your bulky winter setup of 215/70 R16's is equivalent with the Non-phev Outlander III's stock setup.

Thank's for appreciating my comment. And for sure there are horses for courses and tyres for .......whatever. I am sure the crossclimates, or similar tyres, will work well in UK. Actually with global warming we may switch to those in Scandinavia as well, sadly....

There have been a few comments that a 17" wheel might be better for winter tyres. If I have 225/55 R18 at the moment, what is the equivalent tyre if I change to a 17" wheel for winters?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations on wheels? I've had a look at those on my tyres, but there are so many.

Paule23 said:
There have been a few comments that a 17" wheel might be better for winter tyres. If I have 225/55 R18 at the moment, what is the equivalent tyre if I change to a 17" wheel for winters?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations on wheels? I've had a look at those on my tyres, but there are so many.

215/65 R17 would be advisable - it is the closest replacement size you can get to the factory 18s. You need to choose a stock 17" Outlander wheel to avoid complications with selecting the appropriate PCD, hub bore and ET dimensions, associated with aftermarket rims.
If there's no stock 17" wheel for the Outlander III (frankly, I don't know) then you'd be better off with a factory 16" alloy with tyre size 215/70 R16 - just as Steepndeep has it for the winter, according his top post.

Back