Want the gadgets but not leather seats

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norbert

I am looking to get a new outlander and want adaptive cruise and the 360 degree cameras.

It seems these are only available on the 4HS and that comes with leather, which I don't want.

Has anyone managed to get any trim swapped prior to delivery?

Or has anyone got these extra items on the Jura?

What is against leather? I find it rather good quality on the PHEV. Being a dog owner I wouldn't want anything else.

jaapv said:
What is against leather? I find it rather good quality on the PHEV. Being a dog owner I wouldn't want anything else.

Having had a few vehicles with Alcantara (synthetic suede) which does not get hot in the summer, or cold in the wintertime and grips you and is easy to clean and is harder wearing than leather, I'd never have a car with anything else.

My current car (VW Amarok) looks like brand new after 20,000 miles where as it's predecessor had scuffs and scratches (jeans have rivets on them, small scratches from dog claws).

I am surprised that given the longer lasting characteristics of Alcantara that it isn't more widely used. I'm also not happy about the chemical treatments used to treat leather and stop it from decomposing as IMHO they are very bad for the environment.

Having got into a very hot car with Alcantara in the summer wearing shorts and a thin shirt, and not had the instant 'burning' and then sweating from being next to very hot leather, it's a no brainier.

I don't think I'll be getting an Outlander as I don't like being forced to have leather when I don't want it.

I only want the 360 and the adaptive cruise and they don't seem to be available on a 3 with cloth seats.

Whilst I have no problem with trim levels offering more features, it shouldn't be beyond the ordering system to allow a high spec vehicle with cloth seats. Mitsubishi do make non leather seats for the Outlander, and it is a commercial decision not to fit them not a technical one.

I love the vehicle and didn't want to give back the demo.

Lets see what the dealer says, but it's probably going to be "computer says no"

Norbert said:
Pretty sure it will. There are NO factory options, whatsoever. They don't work that way.

Leather can be fitted as a dealer option. I don't see why cloth could not be either. But it will be relatively costly: first you pay for the leather and then for the cloth, being left with cloth.

Norbert said:
I don't think I'll be getting an Outlander as I don't like being forced to have leather when I don't want it.

I only want the 360 and the adaptive cruise and they don't seem to be available on a 3 with cloth seats.

Whilst I have no problem with trim levels offering more features, it shouldn't be beyond the ordering system to allow a high spec vehicle with cloth seats. Mitsubishi do make non leather seats for the Outlander, and it is a commercial decision not to fit them not a technical one.

I've never really come across this before, but do many other manufacturers allow you to order one of their higher spec models but to then 'downgrade' to having cloth seats rather than leather ?

I can see that this might be a possibility on very high end cars like Ferraris and Rolls Royce where each car is basically bespoke and you can have what you want, but do Ford, Vauxhall, etc. allow you to do this ?

Norbert said:

Just fit seat covers.. :roll:

Maybe your predicament will inspire Mitsubishi to bring out a Vegan model.

Many manufacturers have a special orders process which would achieve what you are after. This typically involves the dealer submitting a quote request, with the response being yes we can do that and it will cost X or a simple no it isn't possible. The cost isn't normally punitive - it just reflects the difference in pricing a lot of the time given. In this instance, the example would be the cost of the car would remain the same but you get the lower spec seat. I have no idea if Mitsubishi have this process though.

I think you may find that most cars manufactured in Japan/South Korea are built to a standard stock specification with only dealer fit packages as an option. Whereas, mid to high price point cars manufactured in Europe can be built to order with your specification.
I have a GX4H with leather and did not have any issues this summer.

Thank you all for your comments, and I'm glad that many of you like the models you have or can't see why anyone should want other than leather.

It seems that the Australian market has a leather substitute as standard, and as we have noted it's not that they don't make cloth seats, it's just that they choose not to fit them.

When vehicles are built to order with BMW ( just got my BMW Bike and it was built for me) it's not a problem, but when huge distances are between factory and customer are so huge, and the manufacturer does not build to order, customers get the Henry Ford Model T approach.

IMHO it's a great model when you are force feeding customers, and don't care what they want, this is the model Mitsubishi seem to adopt and for them it works fine.

I have explained my reasons for not wanting leather, and many of you have commented why you like leather and I respect your comments, I will never own a vehicle with leather seats and that is my choice.

As has been stated it is highly unlikely that Mitsubishi will swap, the U.K. a marketing has dictated what should be on top spec models, and that it would seem is that.

I'll keep you updated as to th decision as have written to Mitsubishi in Europe.

All the best for now.

Well Mitsubishi Europe replied with computer says no.

Does anyone with a cloth interior and heated seats want to swap for leather?

Mitsubishi do make a quality seat cover:

http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2289&hilit=seat+covers

My first car, a Standard 10 bought in 1970, had ropy seats which I re-covered for a couple of quid with elasticated cloth seat covers. Why not buy a couple of them? Cool in summer, warm in winter, easily washable, they dry quickly and they are cheap. And your lovely leather seats will look as good as new when you resell the car.

Indeed, it is not Mitsubishi themselves, but the local distributors that choose to provide only a limited set of trims with no factory options. I was always told that this is because they need to "pre-order and stock up for the year" in order to prevent adding 6 - 7 weeks to the delivery time of every single car.

At some point, you may be told that "you can get a blue one right now, but a red one will take 6 months". Many moons ago, I have bought a Galant V6. Requested to have the factory sunroof installed. I was told to choose between after-market and have it in 2 weeks or factory and have it in 6 months. Upfront, they had ordered a bunch of those V6es, some with and some without sunroof. And the ones with sunroof were all gone.

In Japan you can get a "build to order" PHEV. In theory, maybe you could get it here as we'll, but you would have to wait much, much longer, as the local distributor would probably have already filled in their production slots for the next year or so.

It also depends on the way the production line is set up. With some brands every car is produced, or at least finished, individually. This either means that the proportion of handwork is quite high, like with Jaguar, or 100% like with Morgan
Another rout to take is to have a high level of electronic intelligence, like with Nedcar. That factory can even build different brands of cars mixed on one production line and each car is finished individually.

http://www.vdlnedcar.nl/?page/4842402/Profile.aspx

Apparently, they have that set up well: http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com/publish/pressrelease_en/products/2012/news/detail0865.html

The Outlander PHEV will be available in five trim levels: the base G, the G Safety Package fitted with MMC's "e-Assist" (Japan-market name) advanced safety technology system, the G Navi Package, which comes with on-board navigation and other features, the G Premium Package, which features a RockfordFosgate® Premium Sound System and leather-upholstered seats for extra comfort, and the built-to-order E.

Back