Want the gadgets but not leather seats

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jaapv said:
...this either means that the proportion of handwork is quite high, like with Jaguar...
Another rout to take is to have a high level of electronic intelligence, like with Nedcar. That factory can even build different brands of cars mixed on one production line and each car is finished individually.

http://www.vdlnedcar.nl/?page/4842402/Profile.aspx
I worked on Jaguar LandRover configuration systems for many years. There is no "handwork" involved, except for the very small number of special vehicles, and multiple product lines are built on the same tracks. There is a highly complex logistics chain from the customer configurator through to the build lines, and most orders are customer specific (US dealers tend to buy blocks of similar configurations).

In this case Mitsubishi have chosen to have a small number of standard configurations with what I assume are some port fit or dealer fit options. While this may lose a number of potential customers, like the OP, it does maximise the profit stream, and given that this vehicle was something of a punt in the marketplace, albeit one that has worked out rather well, once can see why the cost models done at the planning stage quite a few years ago would have been on the cautious side.

I am feeling drawn to the BMW i3, which has gadgets and seat options, I really liked the Outlander, but leather seats or even seat covers on the top are a no for me.

They make the cloth seats and fit them to the Outlander, and the Jura would be perfect, if I could have adaptive cruise and 360 camera, but these are only available on the 4hs or above.

The Prius business pack seems to be close, and I'll test drive one next week.

Thanks for all the replies.

Norbert said:
I am feeling drawn to the BMW i3, which has gadgets and seat options, I really liked the Outlander, but leather seats or even seat covers on the top are a no for me.

They make the cloth seats and fit them to the Outlander, and the Jura would be perfect, if I could have adaptive cruise and 360 camera, but these are only available on the 4hs or above.

The Prius business pack seems to be close, and I'll test drive one next week.

Thanks for all the replies.

The Prius is low down compared to the Outlander or X3i - just bare that in mind.

Noted.

I am now questioning my whole use of cars, and wanting to justify why I need one.

Living in the country, the primary use is Dads Taxi, and the weekly shopping trip.

I'm changing contracts soon and will be driving into London (trains are £80 per day return if you are an occasional user) and I drive then tube one day per week.

I love the i3, and the new range extender, but no place to mount cycles very well.

The Prius seems to be a bit more roomy, and has larger boot, but is only a few times a year that's needed.

I'm in no rush to change and would have signed up for an Outlander already if they could have the options and no leather.

Hang on - aren't the leather seats a port fit not a manufacturing item. It should, therefore, be possible to get a high spec. PHEV in the UK without the seats - just need to twist a few arms at Colt Cars. ;)

Back