What's your favorite regen?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fecn

My commute to work and back is very hilly and I love cruising along in B0 all the time, only stepping up the regen for the downhills or when the traffic in front of me slows down. There's a 600ft loss of altitude on my way to work and I reckon I freewheel along for at least 12 of the 18 miles on that journey. I use B0 on the way home too, but as it's mostly uphill I have to use the accelerator a bit more.

From reading posts of the users on this forum seems that lots of people like B5 all the time instead... and there's probably a whole bunch more who just leave it in D and never touch the paddles.

So... Just for fun... What's your favorite regen, and why?

I operate the paddles very similar to you except that I tend to use B1 as the default. On a level road with constant throttle I have noticed that the power gauge goes up slightly when I change from B1 to B0.

Dusz said:
I operate the paddles very similar to you except that I tend to use B1 as the default. On a level road with constant throttle I have noticed that the power gauge goes up slightly when I change from B1 to B0.
Have you not noticed the car speeding up when switching from B1 to B0?

Effectively, in B0 you have to press the throttle less hard to achieve the same performance. In other words, with the same throttle position, you will go faster in B0 then you would in B1. This is caused by the remapping of the throttle position between different B levels. It doesn't make B0 less efficient than B1, or anything.

To answer the question ,B5 and B2. B5 in busy urban areas to easy control my speed, B2 on the motorway as just about right to regulate speed whatever the inclination (on most UK motorways) and you get some energy back when losing some speed.

Of course I go up and down the levels if conditions require.

B0 I never use.

I leave it in "D" except when descending a long hill. If it were not for the fact that it resets to "D" every time you put it in "Park", I would probably leave it in "B1", but I can't be bothered resetting it each time I stop.

I play around with it quite a lot to try to maximise regen - not sure if it actually makes any difference vs just leaving it in D but it keeps me entertained !
I will normally try not to use the brakes if I can help it when slowing or stopping and modulate the B to control speed and separation. I'm fortunate in that traffic in the Shire is generally light so no shuffling along in queues.

Always B5.
Easy single pedal driving in most cases.
Very comfortable after getting used to it.
Proper anticipation of traffic situation results in
no need to use brake pedal at all,
saves brake pads and disks.

BTW: Did some reading regarding the Opel Ampera e (aka Chevy Bolt). It has two levels, D(rive) and L(ow).

D has minimum regen, L has max regen. D has (auto gear box) creep, L has no creep and will bring you to a full stop :)

Edit: Not very relevant for UK, I know. But still ....

anko said:
Have you not noticed the car speeding up when switching from B1 to B0?

Effectively, in B0 you have to press the throttle less hard to achieve the same performance. In other words, with the same throttle position, you will go faster in B0 then you would in B1. This is caused by the remapping of the throttle position between different B levels. It doesn't make B0 less efficient than B1, or anything.

I had noticed that too... I was wondering if there was some kind of micro-regen happening with the motor turning the wheels until they were a fraction of a kmh too fast and then regen sapping some of the power back again to slow them down... I certainly seem to get the best battery range on B0

Used to use the paddles up and down like a madman but now just stick it in B5 all the time and feather my foot as required. Much better. :D

I wish they would give us the option of reconfiguring the paddles as a hand throttle for cruise control

I use B5 in heavy traffic, and the other levels to maintain a constant speed while descending hills.

I don't really think about it much. If traffic is heavy, I just hold the paddle for a second and it switches into B5.

Similarly, if you want to go back into D, you can hold the opposite paddle for a second.

:D

maby said:
I wish they would give us the option of reconfiguring the paddles as a hand throttle for cruise control

I use the steering wheel control as a hand throttle when in Cruise Control :D

greendwarf said:
maby said:

So do I, but the paddles would be a lot better used as the hand throttle while in CC - engaging CC effectively overrides the regen setting anyway. That little switch is too small and not in a very convenient position.

maby said:
greendwarf said:
maby said:

So do I, but the paddles would be a lot better used as the hand throttle while in CC - engaging CC effectively overrides the regen setting anyway. That little switch is too small and not in a very convenient position.

Right thumb without moving hand from wheel?

greendwarf said:

That's ok if you are driving straight, but if you have turned the wheel any significant amount, the switch is not near your thumb. The paddles are attached to the column, not the wheel, and stay in place. Having got used to a car with a decent hand throttle, I do tend to drive on it a lot of the time.

maby said:
greendwarf said:

That's ok if you are driving straight, but if you have turned the wheel any significant amount, the switch is not near your thumb. The paddles are attached to the column, not the wheel, and stay in place. Having got used to a car with a decent hand throttle, I do tend to drive on it a lot of the time.

Fair enough, I only use CC on motorways & similar so there is little need to turn the wheel, just changing speed.

Back