Wheel alignment and Spare Wheel Use

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitsyphev

Hi. I'm new to this forum. I have had a new Outlander PHEV for 3 weeks now and I'm still learning how to get the best out of it.
I have two questions that someone might be able to help me with.
Firstly, after two weeks of driving, whilst on a straight road, I noticed that the steering while was no longer aligned. I checked tyres pressures and they were OK so I took it to a local tyre fitter who checked alignment. He said that the thrust was out and adjusted it. This corrected the misalignment of the steering wheel, but what could cause this over such a low mileage?
As I understand it, a thrust adjustment is to realign the two axles/front and back wheels.

My second question is about using a spare wheel. Has anyone done any significant distance with a spare wheel fitted. The manual says, on page 11-11, that if you do not use tyres of the same type and with the same degree of wear, the differential oil will get too hot and failure could occur! Does this rule out the use of a new, spare tyre after you have down several thousand miles on your fitted tyres. Also, does failure of a tyre mean that you aleays have to replace both tyres on one axle/set?
Feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks.

What Spare Wheel!

I didn't think they came with one, just a repair kit and inflator/compressor.

As for the alignment I would get the garage (Mitsubishi) to check it, as I have found in the past not all tyre fitting places are up to date with the latest information.

Sharky said:
What Spare Wheel!

I didn't think they came with one, just a repair kit and inflator/compressor.

As for the alignment I would get the garage (Mitsubishi) to check it, as I have found in the past not all tyre fitting places are up to date with the latest information.
Echo that. A general tyre service may not be aware of the amount of cross-camber and cross-caster that Mitsubishi specified for the UK market.

Another thing is that there are instances of a car pulling to the right or the left not by misalignment of the wheels, but by the calibration of the electric power steering.

Regarding the use of a spare wheel - if you have it :? Yes, there has been discussion about the TPMS being thrown out by having different tyres on the same axle. Although mainly in the context of fitting a different make (some people have had problems getting Toyos) when replacing a puncture, there seemed to be a consensus that even the difference in wear between a used and new tyre would cause both a TPMS error and more seriously the possible overheating you refer to.

This is not confined to the PHEV but is common to 4x4s as a trawl thro' Google will bring up. The simple answer is change 2 tyres at a time. I was faced with this recently and opted for an "illegal" :?: puncture repair rather than buy 2 new tyres but did consider a part-worn from Ebay. :mrgreen:

If you do go for 2 new tyres then these should always be fitted to the rear, apparently - again check thro' Google.

Hi. Thanks for all your advice.
I don't have a spare wheel and I wanted to check to see whether there was any point in getting one before spending money. Whilst at the tyre fitters I asked about getting a Toyo and the dealer, after a day, came back to me and said he couldn't find one! What chance then, mid journey, of getting a replacement? Might be best then to try and get two replacement tyres from the dealer and carry them on important journies. I might then be able to use the supplied gunk to get to a tyre fitter, assuming they're open, and have him fit the two replacement tyres.
I must say that the main reason my wife and I decided to buy this car was because it is relatively 'green' compared to other 4WDs. Having to throw away tyres prematurely isn't green.
Oh well still like the car and being able to charge it from our solar panels.....when the sun shines! Not a lot of that since we got it :(
Regarding wheel alignment, I will keep an eye on tyre wear.
Thanks again :D

If you follow the advice & get Winter tyres then you could carry these as emergency spares without feeling too "un-green" :idea:

I carry a spare, takes up a bit of space and adds a bit of weight but takes the risk out of not making it to a client.

I can suffer the TPMS sensor warning light for as long as it takes to get the original tyre fixed.

When I can get one I would tend to carry a spare as well, too rural a location to not do so.

I normally pick up one off ebay for each vehicle, but having just bought the car and paid for a set of winter wheels I will probably use one of the original tyres as the emergency spare for little while and then get one.

(not advised normally to have a winter tyre on one side and a normal tyre on the other but I suspect it's ok for a short period)

I have just been in contact with the dealer who supplied the car (Newtown, Powys) to ask a few questions about the PHEV and they have been extremely helpful. They consulted Colt Cars for the answers. Forum users might find this information useful.

Firstly, I asked about buying a Mitsubishi alloy wheel, tyre and TPM. For reasons of safety they would not be prepared to supply a spare wheel. They car is not designed to carry one safely and they do not want to encourage it.
Secondly, I asked them under what circumstances the brake lights will automatically come on when using regenerative braking. This only applies to 16 M/Y onwards. They said that in B4 it only happens when travelling over 130km/h (81mph) and in B5 at speeds over 40km/h (25mph). No auto-brake lights in B1 to B3. These are approximate figures because other factors such vehicle situation, surface conditions, slope, battery SOC, battery temperature, etc affect it.
Thirdly, I asked about changing the Satnav voice to something less evil sounding :D
I have been told that they have had a few request to change it, but we are stuck with it. They have, however, passed the request on to MMC.

Hope this information is of use to some of you. I'm off now to find a very strong cargo net and fixings as you never know what you might need to carry in the back ;)

Mitsyphev said:
I have just been in contact with the dealer who supplied the car (Newtown, Powys) to ask a few questions about the PHEV and they have been extremely helpful. They consulted Colt Cars for the answers. Forum users might find this information useful.

Firstly, I asked about buying a Mitsubishi alloy wheel, tyre and TPM. For reasons of safety they would not be prepared to supply a spare wheel. They car is not designed to carry one safely and they do not want to encourage it.

Hope this information is of use to some of you. I'm off now to find a very strong cargo net and fixings as you never know what you might need to carry in the back ;)

Madness - sounds like a case for threats of legal action :eek:

Well, legal reasons - Mitsubishi could face legal action if somebody throws one in the boot and gets hit by it in a crash. In the USA certainly, elsewhere maybe...
Paranoia? from a common sense viewpoint, certainly. Wise? Probably.

Back