Wheels

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeI

Anybody know who manufactures the wheels for the 2016 GX5hs? I need one as a spare, don't trust the spray repair & then you have to buy a new tyre at their (repairers) price. Mitsubishi part no 32862/NC @£668.62, without tyre, from MITSUBISHI but should be cheaper from supplier (I hope!)

MikeI GX5H5 Atlantic Grey

Mostly wheels are produced exclusively for a car manufacturer and are not available for general sale. So you'll have to settle for whatever your wheel shop can offer you. Possibly there are Chinese copies on Alibaba.
If you just want a wheel for a spare, get a steel one, it should be a lot cheaper.

According to Mitsubishi, any spare used has to be identical to original wheels because the tyre pressure senders are set for the size of wheel etc I wanted the skinny spare wheel as used by the AA with the size of tyre that gave the correct rolling radius but they said it would mess the tyre pressure warning up. I cannot see that the limited number of wheels produced just for Mitsubishi, would be worth a rim manufacturer's time unless there was more sales out there for them. I looked at the Japanese manufacturers & Alibaba but couldn't see anything so it was a long shot whether anybody had any info.
MikeI GX5hs

The size of the tyre and possibly brand must be identical, the type of wheel is not relevant. Anyway, if you just use the spare to drive home, I don't quite see what a TPMS warning would matter.
It appears to me that your dealer is attempting a bit of hard sell.

Surely the clue is in the name TPMS with P equalling pressure - the size or otherwise is irrelevant. However, a "spare" tyre either has no sensor - so you will get a warning or if fitted with a sensor the car won't have it recorded - so you will get a warning. So as jaapv says ignore the warning issue - you can't avoid it.

Why Mitsubishi do not want to offer a skinny spare to get to a tyre dealer is beyond me, as other car manufacturers , although they offer an inflation kit, also offer spare wheels. I realize this is all down to costs since if you multiply the number of cars produced by the cost of a spare, whether steel or other, the money saved is colossal. Now if you want to carry a spare, whether the cost or weight is acceptable, should be down to you & the manufacturer should offer something. As long as the rolling circumference is the same for all tyres, there should not be a problem although I do recall that Range Rover had a problem years back when a spare was used, messed up the fourwheel drive setup.
I would like to buy Dynomec spare wheel , with the right sized tyre but how the dealer would accept any problems that later happened could be costly.

MikeI GX5hs

Before I put in for my lease I asked about a spare. I was told that there was insufficient room due to the rear electric motor and control gear al though if i wantediluvian one i cold put it in the boot but then it robserved luggage space and wold not be secu red in the event of an accident. The diesel does have a spare slung under the rear. The PHEV also has a different rear silencer that further robs space. With a bit more careful design I am sure there would have been room. However, the additional weight would affect the CO levels and economy figures.

The skinny spare could fit into a bag & there are lashing points in the boot to secure the wheel. Years ago when I looked at having a gas conversion to my Volvo V70 & a Cavalier, the gas canister would take up the spare wheel space & again the spare wheel sat in the boot.

MikeI GX5hs

I have carried a spare in the boot for two years. Steel wheel but exactly same diameter/rolling radius as the standard wheels. Peace of mind for long journeys and I don't miss the boot space. Those with greater space needs may find it inconvenient.

Back