Wifi priority for iOS - solved bluetooth phone dropouts

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MinimalMayhem

I have an iPhone 6 and use the remote app, this means I have a wifi network for my car as well as my normal home wifi networks etc.

Sometimes I'd find that while at home, the phone would connect to the car in preference to home wifi - which is a pain.
I also found that with the car wifi network connected, the connection between car and phone would drop/reconnect repeatedly during phone calls.

Turns out that it is possible to solve this using either the apple configurator (for free) or (much more simply) with an app called Wifi Priority https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/wifi-priority/id963277048?mt=8 by Florian Schimanke (link is to the uk app store - and it's a paid app).
What this app does is create what's called a configuration profile that can make networks auto-join (or not).

So I simply created a profile using my car's wifi settings, made it not auto-join and hey presto, my phone only connects to my car wifi when I go into wifi setting, choose the car network and connect manually. In my testing this seems to stop the dropouts during hands free calls too - which is fantastic I think.

BTW when setting the car wifi up in the wifi priority app, I used wpa2 as the network security.

BTW pt2: if you don't already know, it is worth setting your IP address as manual for the car wifi network but leaving the default gateway blank - that way you can still use mobile data even when connected to the car wifi (found that tip elsewhere in this forum).

Brilliant and worth 79p to avoid using the apple "configurator" which is not for the faint hearted!

This may even mean I dont have to mess about switching off wifi before driving to prevent wifi-induced bluetooth dropouts :)

Thank you :D

Best 79p I have spent.

IPhone 6 was an absolute nightmare before. Now seems fine. No dropouts yet after a few days of using this.

Shame Mitsubishi couldn't resolve the issue as quickly.

I highly recommend this app.

I solved the problem of the phone connection through the Wifi priority app which is fine. However when selecting the car wifi it connects but switches wifi off when starting the PHEV app. Cant preheat or defrost my car through the app. Anyone any clue?

peterjonker said:
I solved the problem of the phone connection through the Wifi priority app which is fine. However when selecting the car wifi it connects but switches wifi off when starting the PHEV app. Cant preheat or defrost my car through the app. Anyone any clue?

Try the fix at the bottom of this page 1 of this thread instead of using the priority app.

http://www.myoutlanderphev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2259&p=25420&hilit=DHCP#p25420

Tried that fix but two issues/questions:
1. DHCP returns every time can't seem to find where to stick to static
2. Same result when using app. Can connect to car wifi. Start the PHEV app and after maybe 1 second it turns to 4G and the app states I am not connected to the car wifi

Maybe I need some more instructions on 1? ;)

My fix was to go to the dealer. They fixed the connection problem by sitting in the car locking it and then pressing the power button till it lights up orange. Do bot hold the break pedal to make sure it not starts. Take the key and press close and open five times after each other until you hear a beep from the dashboard. Then refreh the app and your connection is restored. My advice visit your dealer

I tried the manual methods, no luck.

Spent a few ¢'s on the WiFi Priority and the car no longer wipes out my connection at home - the car is parked outside my window and often took over the connection from my router - very annoying. Now, I am permanently connected to the router and only need to manually connect to the car on the odd occasion it's needed.

Well worth it - but before you start to configure, have your password to-hand.

Jeff

Used this app to reconfigure the wifi profile on the phone.

Interestingly, when I did, the 'i-pod' function started playing music from my phone (still, seemingly randomly, and unusable but hey). It now never connects automatically to the cars wifi which is good BUT sadly, the phone drop-out/reconnect issue still appears to be there for phone calls, and I still need to disable wifi on the phone to resolve it :(

Barnfather said:
Used this app to reconfigure the wifi profile on the phone.
It now never connects automatically to the cars wifi which is good BUT sadly, the phone drop-out/reconnect issue still appears to be there for phone calls, and I still need to disable wifi on the phone to resolve it :(

Just the same problem as I have :evil:

BR
Michael

Back