YouTube of cross-axle?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sailordoc

Has anyone come across any YouTube videos of the PHEV in a cross-axle situation? I’ve tried a few searches but all that comes up are the diesel Outlanders, and one video of an idiot who doesn’t seem to know how to drive off road. I’m interested to learn how the 1st gen PHEV responds as there are lots of people saying it does not transfer power to the wheels with grip but would like to see a video demonstrating this with ASC on and off.

Sailordoc said:
Has anyone come across any YouTube videos of the PHEV in a cross-axle situation? I’ve tried a few searches but all that comes up are the diesel Outlanders, and one video of an idiot who doesn’t seem to know how to drive off road. I’m interested to learn how the 1st gen PHEV responds as there are lots of people saying it does not transfer power to the wheels with grip but would like to see a video demonstrating this with ASC on and off.
Don't have av ideo for you, but ...

The PHEV (any generation) is technically not capable of transferring power from front to rear or vice versa, simply because there is no mechanical connection between the front and rear axle.

Left to right is / may be a different thing. But there are no diff locks. So, all it could do is brake a wheel without grip, directing all power from that axle to the other wheel When doing so, the gear ratio between the motor and the other wheel will double, so torque at the wheel will be reduced by 50%.

anko said:
Sailordoc said:
Don't have av ideo for you, but ...

The PHEV (any generation) is technically not capable of transferring power from front to rear or vice versa, simply because there is no mechanical connection between the front and rear axle.

Left to right is / may be a different thing. But there are no diff locks. So, all it could do is brake a wheel without grip, directing all power from that axle to the other wheel When doing so, the gear ratio between the motor and the other wheel will double, so torque at the wheel will be reduced by 50%.

Thanks for that. I am aware that you cannot transfer power between axles as there are separate motors. What I am not sure about is whether it will brake a wheel in the air on an axle, sending power to the other wheel, or whether it does not brake the wheel and justs spins the wheel in the air with no power sent to the wheel with traction. I have heard both scenarios presented, but cannot find any tests published to confirm what actually happens.

Sailordoc said:
.... What I am not sure about is whether it will brake a wheel in the air on an axle, sending power to the other wheel, or whether it does not brake the wheel and justs spins the wheel in the air with no power sent to the wheel with traction. I have heard both scenarios presented, but cannot find any tests published to confirm what actually happens.

I also couldn't find proper answers for this question before buying the car and decided to buy regardless if it can do that or not.

When trying on a spot where I could provoque a cross axle situation, I stopped trying as I would have damaged the road.
Still waiting for a chance for a test in a gravel pit or similar.

Harald said:
When trying on a spot where I could provoque a cross axle situation, I stopped trying as I would have damaged the road.
Still waiting for a chance for a test in a gravel pit or similar.

Looks like you would just need to find a spot with a short, but steep slope like this to test it.

https://youtu.be/AI9lMky5lUU

Back