Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Irritating brake noise
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 3:43 pm 

Evening all,

Forgive me if this has been addressed elsewhere: I've searched a variety of places on the interweb (and here) and haven't found anything exactly resembling the concern. If someone has technical parlance which could identify the issue and resolve it, I would appreciate it, particularly before I take it into the dealer (whom I don't entirely trust to get to the bottom of it unless I go in armed with a bit of knowledge first...).

When braking slowly - i.e. coming to a stop but more so in very slow stop/start commuting traffic - a clunk-click noise keeps coming from 'somewhere deep within'. Occasionally near the front brakes, occasionally the rear. It's the sort of thing which sounds intentionally mechanical but it's so loud and intrusive that the first time it happened we all thought the axle was about to fall off, and then every time a new passenger hears it they look over and you have to say 'it always does that' before telling yourself it's the quirks of a car that is unlike the one you had before.

I am very much hoping someone can clearly identify if everyone has it and it's related to either the electrical motors, the 4WD, it's 'brake pad shuffle' (as someone in the past in this forum has said, but the description didn't quite sound the same), or pads/calipers needing simple adjustment etc. The car is less than a year old, with 7k so I'm not expecting the sort of wear that should cause something needing looking at. I'm therefore hoping everyone has 'the weird clunking noise'. No-one's mentioned it in reviews or complaints and, as said, I don't trust the dealer to do much more than fob me off as a 'yes, they all do that', when they don't. So any help is much appreciated. If anyone wants a recording of it I can try and do one without crashing and post it.

:)

Post subject: Re: Irritating brake noise
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:00 pm 

It is not normal what is happening with your car. My brake is very smooth. Most of time I cannot tell it is doing regen or heating the disc. There is the auto brake (once I stop, I can take my foot and brake is still on until I step on gas (not really :-)) pedal.

Go after dealer and give him piece of your mind. You ca also say that this car is embarrassing you and your friends passenger would not consider to look at Mitsubishi if the issue doesn’t get resolved.

Tai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:20 pm 

I have to agree with Tai, that noise is not normal.

1.5kW Solar, grid connected.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:38 pm 

It does not sound like "normal". and they certainly don't all do that.
If you don't trust your dealer why is he still your dealer?

Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:44 am 

Thank you all, very helpful, I shall go forth and remonstrate.

As for the dealer, it is the only one where I live, and while I'm yet to have the car looked at mechanically when I transferred the warranty after import I knew more about Outlanders than they did. Which is odd for a Mitsu dealer and given I can't go to anyone else to have its warranty catered to without significant trouble, I'm a bit stuck!

But thank you all anyway, I'll come back with hopefully some resolution and an update.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:57 am 

Tricky to diagnose if it's sometimes front, sometimes back.

Loose exhaust system?

Wiltshire UK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:47 am 

Unfortunately, this break clicks are "normal" for the Outlander (not only PHEV).
I have it and in a German forum, another 10 people have it.

The brake pads move around and make this noise.
You can easily reproduce it but going back, break and then forward break.

But it should go away, will only in forward. if not, you have something different.

2019 Top

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:00 am 

Update:

Dealer was excellent, wanted to come out straight away for a test, and it thankfully did the clicking on cue (we had those discussions about problems never manifesting when you need them to...).

The clicking comes when braking slowly, but crucially when there's been some movement between reverse and drive, as Mitch describes. However, straight away the dealer said it sounds like the pads shifting in the calipers, as per a previous poster raised some years ago. Dependent on the fittings used, this seems to be a known issue, though not everyone has it. So it's now booked in under warranty.

I therefore recommend those others who have them - sounds like a few in Germany too - get it looked at because it's not what should be happening, I'm afraid.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:08 am 

THE wrote:
Thank you all, very helpful, I shall go forth and remonstrate.

As for the dealer, it is the only one where I live, and while I'm yet to have the car looked at mechanically when I transferred the warranty after import I knew more about Outlanders than they did. Which is odd for a Mitsu dealer and given I can't go to anyone else to have its warranty catered to without significant trouble, I'm a bit stuck!

But thank you all anyway, I'll come back with hopefully some resolution and an update.

Dealers need to have extra training for their staff to work on PHEVs, but not all do.

Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:36 pm 

Mitch are these shifting pads due to non-OEM replacements, or just how they come from the factory ?

Wiltshire UK