Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Brake lights come on in b5 brake regeneration
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:09 am 

To revert to the original question. I don't think this set up is unique to our car. I have recently noticed more drivers brake lights flicking on in normal driving, so perhaps other cars have the same "accelerator off - brake light on" feature.

Actually it would make sense by giving following drivers extra notice of braking action. :idea:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:42 am 

My 2015 model doesn't have this feature, and I do notice that the occasional idiot tailgating me does get a bit of a shock if I do slow using B5, so much so that I now try to remember to use the brakes extremely lightly simply to light the brake lights

You may have speed, but I have momentum...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:34 am 

Location: Forres, Scotland, UK. 2014 GX4h with clear rear light lenses.
My 2014 GX4h doesn't have it either (well, as far as I'm aware it doesn't - I don't suppose I've ever been able to see if has as it's always best to be inside the car when involved in any re-gen activity) - so it's almost certainly a new model 'upgrade'. Can't say I'd be too keen though.

All though as previously mentioned presumably more and other cars are going to have this too. Perhaps there could be a different version of the brake light for re-gen action - like a slow pulsing effect of the light rather than it just being on. Then following drivers won't think you're trying to fry your discs when going down a long hill (either that or they won't know what the f*** is going on). There are a lot of long hills where I live although I've noticed that I have to go up most of them before I can come down again. I actually live half way up a hill - so I do have the option to go either way.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:40 am 

Definitely comes on on 2019 UK model and definitely didn’t come on in 2015 model wonder who decided it should be on newer model
Mitsubishi or legislative bods

Would be interesting if phevs in Canada,Australia etc etc have this feature

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:22 am 

It came in at 16MY (in UK at least) and is part of EU type approval, see section 5.2.22

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/HTML/?uri=CELEX%3A42015X1222(01)&fbclid=IwAR2yIvmWSJ6y-UFjgMXLbY2fL5lShUWTXat6Qzvi6gAg6vhU8c5DSdMFYdQ

5.2.22.4. Electric regenerative braking systems as defined in paragraph 2.17 of this Regulation, which produce a retarding force upon release of the accelerator control, shall generate the signal mentioned above according to the following provisions:
Vehicle decelerations Signal generation
≤ 0,7 m/s2 The signal shall not be generated
> 0,7 m/s2 and ≤ 1,3 m/s2 The signal may be generated
> 1,3 m/s2 The signal shall be generated

So according to this if you are using B5 to simply hold a steady speed downhill, something that I do on the steep ones locally, the brake light should not be on. May have to go and test this :geek:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:31 am 

I’m sure it always comes on in b5 and in sport mode ( I sport mode find very useful as a overtaking mode shame it couldn’t been a steering wheel button )

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:43 am 

This reply

According to Mitsubishi the brake lights only come on when in B4 at speeds of 81mph and above and when in B5 at speeds of 25mph and above, so they will not be on all the time in slow moving traffic.

was contained in this thread:
viewtopic.php?p=23543#p23543

No idea if it's accurate!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:13 am 

Interesting handbook just says “when stronger regen braking is generated stop lamps will illuminate even when the brake pedal is not depressed”
Will double check next time I drive at night if speed makes a difference

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:31 pm 

I complained to my dealer that the regen at B5 wasn't operating the brake lights when I was descending steep logging roads at low speed. They tested, and confirmed that the threshold for MY18 in Canada is 30km/hr. I'm OK with that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:32 am 

In my current car (2016 Skoda Superb) the adaptive cruise control often turns the brakelights on in situations where I wouldn’t touch the brakes myself. In daily trafic I noticed many cars do this. If you pay attention, you can easily recognize cars driving with acc on the highway.

I can imagine that with both acc and regen braking in the PHEV some peolple will ask themselves who was stupid enough to give me my driving license :lol:

Soon to be charged by 14 solar panels