oscarmax

Re: Battery Charge/Save Buttons

Fri May 14, 2021 7:54 am

As I have previously stated I have kept detailed Excel spreadsheets over the last 11 months/5,000 miles, I had tried every different combination including towing a 1500 kg caravan, I cannot see any difference ?

It just goes to show how good a job Mitsubishi engineers have done
Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV Design 2020 Towing a Swift Conqueror 480 2016 1500kg

Please be patient I suffered a brain injury several years ago and get confused at times

Trex

Fri May 14, 2021 6:06 pm

I did a test once around town early on a Sunday morning with no stop and go traffic in series mode between 40 and 60 kph (different speed zones but it is mostly 60 kph) and averaged 6.5lts/100kms. In parallel mode for the same fuel consumption I can do approx 90 kph. That tells me all I need to know about avoiding series mode. I should have believed Mitsubishi's graphs. :roll: :lol:

oscarmax

Sat May 15, 2021 3:27 am

Because we have the 2020 model with the 2.4 litre engine and it Atkinson/Otto cycle it cloud thing a little for me, it may be possible that the Atkinson cycle is quite efficient in series mode ?

It would be nice to have an Mitsubishi graph to explain
Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV Design 2020 Towing a Swift Conqueror 480 2016 1500kg

Please be patient I suffered a brain injury several years ago and get confused at times

greendwarf

Sun May 30, 2021 12:01 am

At the risk of firing up this debate again - we do have empirical evidence of how inefficient the engine is running in Charge mode at low urban speeds, as I am doing at present here in London because I need to burn off 15 litres of fuel from a full tank after 3 months of Lockdown :evil:

The problem is that engine speed is not dictated by throttle pressure (try revving the ICE in neutral :roll: ), so it runs with a much higher tick over than a conventional ICE . Therefore, with speeds of less than 20 mph, I am getting a matching mpg of below 20. :o

ThudnBlundr

Sun May 30, 2021 5:02 am

I'm not sure why it matters what the mpg is as the car isn't being "inefficient". I'm afraid it is doing exactly what it was designed to do when not enough fuel has been used over 3 months (or 93-ish days). I'm also afraid that there is nothing you can do to change it except go for a longer drive at higher average speeds to burn off the fuel more quickly, which is also wasteful.

The low mpg is more likely due to the fact that the PHEV can't really charge a nearly-full battery very quickly, so much of the energy from the ICE can't be recovered into the battery until the charge level has dropped. But since the ICE is running all the time, the battery level won't drop, so you're stuck in a vicious circle till it's burnt off 15 litres.
2015 GX4hs since 03/18
2015 Renault Zoe R240 owner since 11/17

You may have speed, but I have momentum...Image

greendwarf

Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:15 am

Sorry ThudnBlndr - but my post referred to the inefficiency of the ICE not the car - which I understood was the point of the debate. It was said that with Charge activated there was a lack of evidence that at urban speeds consumption was higher than at high speed. I was merely pointing out some evidence to back up that claim. :ugeek: I quite agree that the car is performing as designed.

Return to “News and Main Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum Discussions”