How to open the big external flap for charging? suspected flat aux battery.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twosout

I have a UK MY18 GHS (I think)
Not used it for a couple of months.
Yesterday, the alarm went off for no aparent reason
Today I went to charge it up but could only get in using the key.
Car would not 'start' but the 'start' button has a blue light (there must be some power left)
No other displays on the dash.
I assume that the auxiliary battery has drained and needs replacing. The main battery was 3/4 charged when I last used it.
The flap I need to open to try recharging (I assume it will do the auxiliary battery at the same time) is locked
So how do I release the flap?

If anyone recognises these symptoms, could they advise of a solution, please?
It may not be a flay aux battery...

If you can get in with the key, best would be to open the bonnet and attach a 12v jumpstart battery to the terminals so that the car has enough voltage to operate. Then you'll be able to open the charge flap, but bear in mind that even being able to do this, if you disconnect the jumper battery the car will still not charge, since without the 12v aux battery providing enough power the contactors etc in the charging side won't be able to kick in.

Perhaps better to either power up the car with the jumper battery connected, then remove it and take it for a run (or leave it sitting powered up for 20 mins or so), or connect a battery charger to the battery jump point and let that cycle the 12v aux battery up to full charge.

Beside jump-staring the vehicle there is an access from the trunk for manual lock release. The same can be done for both charging door and gas door.

Thanks for the swift replies!
I am unable to drive at the moment, hence the long period without use.
I think the answer might be to put a charger across the aux battery.
I've not lifted the bonnet but might look at that as an alternative.
I'll need to get a decent charger first (any suggestions?).

If you have the WiFi enabled on your car, it appears there's a daily task at 2pm for the large traction battery to charge up the tiny 12V 'aux' battery which is probably flat in you situation. See that and other tidbits on a recent thread where my 12V was dead - https://www.myoutlanderphev.com/thr...aux-battery-using-traction-battery-only.6281/
tbh on my 2019 model I've found that even with the daily top-up the 12v aux battery will go low over 2+ weeks, down to 11.8v. Doesn't seem like it charges for long enough and quite likely the drain from the Infotainment system doesn't help from what some others have said.

For the OP, personally I'd just opo the bonnet and hook the battery charger up to the jump-start point in the fusebox, -ve to the chassis and let it charge for 8-12 hours. That'll bring the battery up to charge, tho how well it'll last depends on how much going flat has damaged it (sulfation etc). The OEM battery I replaced funnily enough seems to hold charge OK after a couple regen cycles on the CTek smart charger and the brand new Optima has the same behaviour - drops to 12-11.8v over 2+ weeks. Hence I think the daily top-up isn't doing enough.

My car has a black box fitted (by insurance company) so that'll create a parasitic drain.
I had been unable to open the doors (using proximity of the fob) and changed the fob battery a couple of times. I now think it was a weak aux battery that may have been the problem.
Which C-teK charger (there seem so many variants)?
I'm probably heading for a new battery but it's an excuse to get a good charger in the meantime...

The one I have is the MXS-5.0 model, good enough tho they aren't cheap. Upside is it can be left connected to a battery and will switch to maintenance charge mode, tho how that'd play with the PHEV's auto top-up routine I don't know. Probably best not to do both at the same time...

Get th
Thanks for the swift replies!
I am unable to drive at the moment, hence the long period without use.
I think the answer might be to put a charger across the aux battery.
I've not lifted the bonnet but might look at that as an alternative.
I'll need to get a decent charger first (any suggestions?).
Get the dumbest of dumb chargers. literally a transformer with a rectifier. Smart chargers, unless there's dead battery override, will not begin to charge a dead battery. Then, once you have enough charge, start the car and it will take over and charge the 12v battery.

However, I had a situation like this when the battery suddenly went dead, like 4 hours after getting home it was at 2 volts (yes I meant two).
So I jump started with another battery so I could instantly get it working. This meant after I disconnected that battery from the Jumper terminal, the DC-DC converter was shoving a huge current into the still under charged 12 v battery. It got hot and so did the ground cable. That converter can deliver about 1800 watts which equates to 150Amps at 12volts. Somewhat more than the 4 Amps charging rate on the battery label.

I rapidly shut it down and took out the battery which my smart charger could now charge. But at 25 Amps it was probably not a good thing. That battery was soon replaced. I suggest you do the same.

I got myself a Victron charger (IP65 25A) and connected to the points under the bonnet. It doesn't seem to be having much effect. I'd expect everything to come alive, but it's all completely dead.
I thought I'd try getting a direct connection to the aux battery but cannot open the tailgate (nor even the back doors). How can doors be opened, manually?

There are pop-off plastic panels in the back that will give you access to manual release levers.

The easiest way to get to the back would be by laying the back seats down.

(Assuming you haven't fitted a cargo/pet barrier which needs to be removed from the other side.)

Great! Thanks very much.
I have tried reading through the manual, but didn't find that.
Luckily, no dog guard but the boot is full of stuff that I'll need to remove via the front door after climbing over seats!
Assume the panel to remove is on the tailgate?
Added later:
Found a little panel and removed it but could not work out how to release the lock.
Removed the floor to get to the aux battery instead.
Only 1.4V but now trying to charge it...

Last edited:
Back