Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Now Delivered! Company Car - Outlander GX4hs
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:31 am 

Hi Folks

Love the wealth of information available in this forum.

I will be ordering a Outlander HX4h shortly as a company car, I work from home though our children go to school in a neighbouring village.

Currently we have a Focus Saloon, owned since 2002 from new, fantastic car, love it to bits, and since ownership has only broken down once.

I have 3 children, they are 5, 7 and 9, they are all boys, I love my Focus, but it is a squeeze for us now, bikes don't fit, neither does going away for a holiday.

In 4 weeks time I have a 6kW Solar Panel installation being put in, should give power from dawn till dusk, and I had a 32Amp car charger installed in 2014.

My new car will mostly be driven by my wife, though I may well do the morning school run!

Onto the serious stuff.

1) My wife has Raynauds, this means that her fingers etc get cold, is the electric heater any good? I think the 2016 version has electric heated steering wheel?
2) Are there bike racks available / any idea on prices?
3) Colour ... I think Red looks fantastic, but White is cheaper ...
4) Options ... the company car tool doesn't show any options, is there anything I should request?

Any other thoughts would be very much appreciated, many thanks/

Last edited by SolarBoy on Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Company Car - Outlander GX4h
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:29 pm 

SolarBoy wrote:
Hi Folks

Love the wealth of information available in this forum.

I will be ordering a Outlander HX4h shortly as a company car, I work from home though our children go to school in a neighbouring village.

Currently we have a Focus Saloon, owned since 2002 from new, fantastic car, love it to bits, and since ownership has only broken down once.

I have 3 children, they are 5, 7 and 9, they are all boys, I love my Focus, but it is a squeeze for us now, bikes don't fit, neither does going away for a holiday.

In 4 weeks time I have a 6kW Solar Panel installation being put in, should give power from dawn till dusk, and I had a 32Amp car charger installed in 2014.

My new car will mostly be driven by my wife, though I may well do the morning school run!

Onto the serious stuff.

1) My wife has Raynauds, this means that her fingers etc get cold, is the electric heater any good? I think the 2016 version has electric heated steering wheel?
Yes the 2016 has a heated steering wheel but remember also if she has the remote control app on her phone she can start the car warming up 20 minutes before she needs to go out and it will be all cosy. I did this today so we could all jump in the car in tee shirts and go out.
I find the electric heating to be very fast anyway as of course its not dependent on the engine warming up before
you get any heat.

2) Are there bike racks available / any idea on prices?
I would check on your company configurator if there is a fitted towbar selection you can choose, on any car it makes carrying bikes far easier and opens a big choice of good options.

3) Colour ... I think Red looks fantastic, but White is cheaper ...
Red would be a bit different, the majority of PHEV's were sold as company cars in the UK so White has been popular as its free. I think mine looks great in White and saved a few pounds a month.

4) Options ... the company car tool doesn't show any options, is there anything I should request?
Not really any factory options. Often the way with Japanese cars ,they are pretty loaded with everything
you need across most models, you just pick the level you want to spend to for more extra 'toys'. A 4h your not
going to be wanting for anything.

Any other thoughts would be very much appreciated, many thanks/

Enjoy your car, before long it will feel like driving anything else will seem like strangely hard work and crude.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:44 am 

Bob has answered your questions well.

You can also check the website for options - http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/access ... x?group=48

I am a dealer and have tried the heated steering wheel - works very well :-)

If I can assist in any quotes, BIK comparisons please do hestistate to ask - neal@brindley-fleet.co.uk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:56 pm 

Many thanks BobEngineer for the comprehensive reply. Looking forward to an autobox in the UK, have only had auto's when driving in North America :)

Hi Neil, thank you for the heating steering info, the demo car is a 2015, not 2016 so good to know. Looking at the options, option creep here I come! Last company car was in the 90's, LOL, where "Green" then was a Perkins powered Rover. Have to go via company lease providers but will keep you in mind if we decide to buy outright :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:27 am 

Looking at recent quotes, the GX4hs is only £20 per month more than the GX4h ... hmmmm ...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:44 am 

SolarBoy wrote:
Looking at recent quotes, the GX4hs is only £20 per month more than the GX4h ... hmmmm ...
Think carefully about whether you really want the extras. If your wife is going to be the main driver will she need/want the added extras. I'm perfectly happy with the 4h, and didn't see much advantage in the extras of the 4hs for MY pattern of use. I emphasise that, because we all have different usage patterns.

It's the 21st century - so where's my nuclear-powered flying car, then?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:59 am 

Regulo wrote:
SolarBoy wrote:
Think carefully about whether you really want the extras. If your wife is going to be the main driver will she need/want the added extras. I'm perfectly happy with the 4h, and didn't see much advantage in the extras of the 4hs for MY pattern of use. I emphasise that, because we all have different usage patterns.

Very true - in fact if you look back over the GX4hs related postings here, you will find quite a few of them discussing how to turn off some of the features that you are buying for that additional £20pm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:17 am 

I thought the same - the s was an extra £30 per month, and over 3 years thats over £1000 so I just went for the Gx4h. Felt like a lot of money to pay for the extras, especially when the ACC would hardly be used and the LDWS sounds like it is more of an annoyance than anything else. Front and rear parking sensors would have been useful, but not that big a deal given that it already has the 360 degree cameras, and I've been used to that on my Qashqai for the past few years.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:03 pm 

Thank you folks for the feedback ... yes my wife will probably be doing a lot of the miles due to the school run.

She is quite technical but has a blindspot an which button to push when on our current car.

I got a call a few weeks ago, she won't mind me posting this:

Her: Hi it's me
Me: Hi
Her: I've done something silly
Me: Are you okay?
Her: Yes fine, I've shut the car and house keys in the boot and I need you to get a taxi and bring the spare key down
Me: Okay don't worry, are you somewhere safe?
Her: Yes in the school car park
Me: How are the kids?
Her: Yes they are fine, they are strapped into their seat belts and reading books
Me: Er, so have you tried pressing the boot release button?
*click*

Then again I can't work the washing machine or dishwasher.

As an actual geek I rather like the idea of the extras ... though the Lane thingy looks just irritating!

She hasn't driven an automatic before and tends to treat our current car like she was driving Le Mans ... so it may be a bit of a shock. We did have a Skoda Superb for a few weeks after we had a head on with an old driver, she drove that with no problems, it is a huge car. She drove that quite slowly.

I wonder if the thingy that autobrakes would be money well spent in case one of our three young boys distract her and she lifts off the foot pedal?

We have a GX4h 2015 demonstrator for a 4 day trial very shortly, we are quite excited - and during half-term, what is there not to like?

This month I am blowing £10,000 on an oversize PV Solar system, the car'd be on a 4 year lease so the extra cost would be £864.

I will try and find the threads mentioned about turning various features off.

We live a frugal life, haven't had a holiday since 2005, we have chickens, grow our own fruit and veg and wear old clothes, and currently drive an almost to 16 year old car that we love and had since new but it's not as comfortable as it used to be. This is a YOLO moment.

Watching the promotional videos from Mitsubishi for the various GX4hs features has got me stoked ... okay off to find those threads!

Final question for now ... get the standard White or the Red, I have £2 left in my company car allowance and by my calculations it may well cover it ... my worry with the Red is that people would race us!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:39 pm 

Two things I've found out about owning a PHEV.

The electricity costs come from the joint account, the missus still hasn't realised this, therefore on pure electric, from my perspective I get the equivalent of 320MPG not 160MPG, when compared to petrol costs.

The other is that my wife has NEVER pulled into a petrol station and put fuel in the car, but after SHOPPING she does reverse the car in and PLUG IT IN, so finally she is actually fueling the car.

The benefits of owning a PHEV therefore are brilliant, never again can she complain about cost of running a car, or say to me its my job to fill the car, either way she's contributing without knowing she is.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next