Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PHEV driven without keys!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:07 am 

On Friday last week my wife and I set out on a visit to the theatre. As she was ready to leave before me my wife took the keys and went out to the car, unplugged the charging cable and settled herself in the passenger seat. I joined her and I drove to the theatre. When we arrived at the theatre it was raining hard so I dropped my wife off near the entrance and I then drove 400m or so to where I could park the car. I got out of the car and immediately realised that I had no key to lock the car...it was in my wife's handbag! I had driven the car with no key at all!

After walking back and forth to get the key and getting soaking wet in the process ( :cry: ), I found that the car appeared to have locked itself so I unlocked it then re-locked it again just to be sure. I presume the car's logic told it that the car had been switched off and left with no key so it locked for security.

Clever car! :lol:

Post subject: Re: PHEV driven without keys!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:46 pm 

It kind of has to be like this, imagine the key transponder failed whilst you were in the middle of an overtake and the engine just switched off! it could be tragic.

So if the key is not detected it lets you finish the drive.

I am surprised you didn't get beeps and 'key not present' warnings though..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:44 pm 

It will normally give warning beeps when walking away with the key and the car activated, but those can easily be missed amidst the Seatbelt not Locked, Door Open, Walking Past the Parking Sensor and other beeps it emits.

Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:07 am 

No beeps at all, I just paused to let my wife out of the car and drove on.

We've also found that if you leave one key in the car and try to lock it it beeps like mad and won't let you. Logical I know but really annoying if the second key is hidden in luggage to act as a spare or being taken somewhere. Not sure how you secure the car using a key safe attached to the outside of the car like surfers do?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:35 am 

It will do so if you use the button on the door to try and lock it. If you use the key fob itself it will lock obediently.

Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:10 am 

Ah, never use the fob, just the buttons on the car!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:26 am 

On an older car with the same "as long as key is nearby" technology, one time the car dropped off a passenger who had the key in their pocket and the car was able to drive 20 miles to its destination. It was then stranded because they didn't have the key to start it.
Another time we drove across town with the keys on the roof.
It's a double-edged sword, this sort of thing...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:40 am 

Tipper wrote:
On Friday last week my wife and I set out on a visit to the theatre. As she was ready to leave before me my wife took the keys and went out to the car, unplugged the charging cable and settled herself in the passenger seat. I joined her and I drove to the theatre. When we arrived at the theatre it was raining hard so I dropped my wife off near the entrance and I then drove 400m or so to where I could park the car. I got out of the car and immediately realised that I had no key to lock the car...it was in my wife's handbag! I had driven the car with no key at all!

After walking back and forth to get the key and getting soaking wet in the process ( :cry: ), I found that the car appeared to have locked itself so I unlocked it then re-locked it again just to be sure. I presume the car's logic told it that the car had been switched off and left with no key so it locked for security.

Good job she had them in the handbag and not left them at home then!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:57 am 

Mitssupplier wrote:
Tipper wrote:

Good job she had them in the handbag and not left them at home then!!

How could that be, I don't think that's possible at all...she hadn't started the car so the keys would need to be in the car before the car was started and the journey began.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:28 am 

Bumping this as I have a related question.

I windsurf, and I carry my car key in a "waterproof" Aquapack (experience suggest they may leak a bit !) inside my wetsuit.

I tried various ways of securing the car without taking the complete fob with me, due to risk of water incursion, and came up with the following:
- remove the metal key from the fob, and leave the fob in the car
- lock the doors using the button on the inside of the driver's door
- lock the driver's door using the metal key
- go play
- unlock driver's door using metal key

Any comments on this ?
Car doors are locked by this process but car may not be fully security armed ?
Would it be possible, if entry was forced, to drive away as the fob is still in the car ?

It would sometimes be possible to leave the fob away from the car but not on my person - but this would also only be a manual lock level of security.