Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Unwanted/needed engine start
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:14 pm 

If there was a BEV of similar size, towing capacity and price I would have bought it. So I'm amuzing myself by trying to operate it as a BEV. Everyone needs a hobby. Also, it does seem needless to polute the air if it can be relatively easily avoided.

@steel188, you implied the ICE being "the heat source", but in my vehicle there is a resistive (electric) heater that can (indirectly) heat the cabin, hence my reference to unneccesary ICE starts. Perhaps the electric cabin heater is not equiped on all vehicles.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:41 am 

We've had a "cold spell" here in Victoria on the southwest coast of BC, Canada. I've now found even with pre-heating... at temps of -3 to -10 or so, when the car has been sitting overnight at these same temps... that at some point early in my commute, it's basically impossible to keep the engine from running for a few minutes. Have tried all "tips and tricks", and it seems there is nothing that will stop the engine from starting when the battery is quite cold and you need to get to speed or maintain a speed of around 40 to 60 kph or faster.

It seems to kick in once I need to get up to speed and drive more quickly on the main roads. Pure speculation, but I believe the cold battery just simply cannot safely push enough juice and it needs help until it reaches sufficient temp. It does this in serial mode... so not sure if it's just to warm up the battery more quickly or something else.

I'm thinking the battery heater that is in this vehicle is purely a safety measure to help the batteries from every getting extremely cold while driving... maybe?

Either way, it's fine, it only runs for a few mins and then doesn't run again and seems to be a safety measure in place to keep our batteries happy and healthy. It makes sense that other pure EV's have more substantial battery heaters in place. Once I've been parked at my office in much warmer underground parking (about 15 degrees when it's -4), I regain quite a bit of range and the engine never starts.

In researching the issue more, battery temp management seems to be a something one should research fairly extensively before buying any full EV as it seems to vary greatly between models and can affect range as well as battery degradation significantly... especially if you live somewhere that experiences extreme heat and/or cold. Nissan seems to be doing the worst while Tesla seems to currently be doing one of the best jobs in this area... going to far as to heat the battery up when it knows you're going to a Super Charger so that by the time you plug-in, the battery is hot enough to accept charging at very high speeds right away rather than slowly ramping the charging speed as the battery heats up... smart.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:53 pm 

Did you try with the climate in your car completely off? Shouldn't be that big a deal since it's not all that cold, really, where you are. Try -30C :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:24 pm 

mellobob wrote:
Did you try with the climate in your car completely off? Shouldn't be that big a deal since it's not all that cold, really, where you are. Try -30C :)

Yes, even with climate off... same results.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:25 pm 

Steel188 wrote:
Forgive me for asking, but I have never fully understood this, why on earth would you want to own a £35 - £50K car and then deliberately not heat the inside just to stop the heat source from starting? It’s a PHEV not a BEV. Your insights would be gratefully received.

At 41F and seat heat I have no need for cabin heat. I am already dressed for cold. 41F is mild.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:33 pm 

This occurrence was so random happening some mornings and not others even with the same variables, even happening after charging the car to full at work on days in the upper 40’s. I called the dealership, they have informed me that it is a known error with the software and have an update to stop it. I have not had the chance to have them preform the update but will keep you posted on results.