Intermittent problem where ICE engine won't turn on in cold weather

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arka

Hi!

Been having an intermittent problem with my 2014 Outlander PHEV for a year or so, but it's gotten worse over time and now happens multiple times a week if the weather is cold.

At cold temperatures (-15 degrees celsius or so) sometimes the ICE engine won't turn on (even though I turn on heating and the stuff that normally would turn on the ICE instantly). If you drive away, when the battery runs out the car goes into limp mode and has to be stopped. I turn it off and back on again and then then the ICE engine starts. Recognizing that this happens, I turn the car off and on til' the ICE engine turns on. But until we figured out this pattern, we had to emergency stop on the highway several times.

Anyone recognize this problem?

best /Tobias

Doesn't it start either if you force it into charge mode? Then it might be an issue with the PHEV ECU, or a sensor reporting something preventing it from starting the ICE. Do you have an OBD scanner to see if it reports any error codes?

Beside what Daixiwen is asking...
Has been BMU reset done on the vehicle like some videos on internet, disconnecting or lowering the voltage on 12V battery and so on?
Does Charge button start the engine while you still have plenty of battery?

Back