What regular maintenance does my new PHEV need?

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zapp7

I know I need to get an oil change at least every 8,000 km to maintain my warranty.
My dealership has what appears to be several overpriced and convoluted packages for the regular maintenance. When I go in for service they ask me to choose which one I want instead of telling me what it needs, which leads me to believe it's not all necessary.

Is there any specific maintenance required beyond that of a standard gas powered vehicle? At what mileage?

That depends on your location . The car must be maintained according to the scheme required by Mitsubishi in your country in order to maintain guaranty. Ask Mitsubishi.

Like I said, I already know what to do to keep the warranty, and that just involves oil changes. I'm more interested in whether there is anything battery-related that is needed for long term proper functioning. You're all PHEV owners here. What do you do?

Not quite - although it depends on which country you live in and/or where you bought the car - presumably not UK if you talk about kilometres,

A warranty is a promise from the manufacturer to fix any underlying faults arising from their original work. It will come with a number of conditions, so perhaps an oil change is one. But I suspect that Mitsu's also includes regular plugging into their software via a dealer. So you need to check the "small print".

It is, however, unlikely to be a legally enforceable guarantee under statute law. So your only recourse in case of dispute will private action though Common Law. This would be the position in UK.

Over the years many countries have enacted statute law to try a regulate these problems but (again in UK & probably EU) this concentrates on the duty of the seller not the manufacturer. So it maybe that in your country the law says that you only have to perform minimum maintenance to get minimum protection. Note - manufacturers always appear to promise greater protection than the law requires as a marketing tool!

Whilst most of us here are PHEV owners, we are also probably relatively affluent so that having a dealer service our expensive and complex cars is a price we are prepared to pay. There are some technophiles who insist on doing their own maintenance as a hobby and therefore don't bother too much about warranties.

I think you need to do more research (including threading past threads) about the conditions that Mitsu apply, if your concern is about the most expensive and least user serviceable part of the car - especially if you want the reassurance of the 8 year battery warranty.

zapp7 said:
Like I said, I already know what to do to keep the warranty, and that just involves oil changes. I'm more interested in whether there is anything battery-related that is needed for long term proper functioning. You're all PHEV owners here. What do you do?
This car is a number of computers on wheels, plus a load of electrics and electronics. Have you figured out how you are to maintain that? You need programs for diagnostics, updates and troubleshooting. Oil changes are of relatively minor importance, after all, the engine won't be running for a fair proportion of the use of the car.

Back