Help needed - 'EV System Service Required'

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dilbert100

Evening all, do hope someone can help me on this.

It's my own fault, I was bored, waiting for the wife and there it was, in the corner of the carpark, a public rapid/fast charger with a Chademo connector.......I couldn't resist. After several years of totally problem-free happy Outlander ownership, a moment of curiosity and 5 mins charging elsewhere other than the granny charger at home and I've got the dreaded error message, restricted performance, no range display and hit and miss charging on the granny cable, it says it's not charging, but sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. I can still hit 'Charge' to fire the engine up but I'm not really sure how useful that will be with so little power on tap etc.

I've purchased a scan tool, but it's not up to the job and doesn't find any codes to clear, my research has led me to believe its probably these codes:
Code No.P101B: Quick CHG.contactor P weld
Code No.P101C: Quick CHG.contactor N weld

I just need to find the right tool to access them and reset them, I not adverse to spending a bit of cash on the right tool but I'd like to know specifically which one to go for that will actually work and do what it needs to. Many before me seem to have asked the question or had the same problem but all I can find is methods to reset battery capacities etc which I'm not really bothered about and isn't really the problem I have. Anyway, sorry for such a long first post but I'm really up a creek!

Car is an Outlander 2015 4hs

Sorry - I'm in the UK so there's no dealer network here either!

Hello.
It's very likely that you need to disassemble traction battery and replace main contactors.

amiralnar said:
Hello.
It's very likely that you need to disassemble traction battery and replace main contactors.

Thanks for the reply Amirralnar, it sounds like it's not going to be as simple as I'd hoped for in that case.

littlescrote said:
Have you tried disconnecting the 12V battery for 10 minutes?

Hi littlescrote, thanks, yes, I've tried that and the longer method too, it did something as the range jumped up considerably (before quickly blanking out again!) but sadly didn't clear the error message or fix the restricted performance as I'd hoped it might. Appreciate your response though, thanks.

Dilbert100 said:
Evening all, do hope someone can help me on this.

It's my own fault, I was bored, waiting for the wife and there it was, in the corner of the carpark, a public rapid/fast charger with a Chademo connector.......I couldn't resist. After several years of totally problem-free happy Outlander ownership, a moment of curiosity and 5 mins charging elsewhere other than the granny charger at home and I've got the dreaded error message, restricted performance, no range display and hit and miss charging on the granny cable, it says it's not charging, but sometimes it does and sometimes it doesn't. I can still hit 'Charge' to fire the engine up but I'm not really sure how useful that will be with so little power on tap etc.

I've purchased a scan tool, but it's not up to the job and doesn't find any codes to clear, my research has led me to believe its probably these codes:
Code No.P101B: Quick CHG.contactor P weld
Code No.P101C: Quick CHG.contactor N weld

I just need to find the right tool to access them and reset them, I not adverse to spending a bit of cash on the right tool but I'd like to know specifically which one to go for that will actually work and do what it needs to. Many before me seem to have asked the question or had the same problem but all I can find is methods to reset battery capacities etc which I'm not really bothered about and isn't really the problem I have. Anyway, sorry for such a long first post but I'm really up a creek!

Car is an Outlander 2015 4hs

Sorry - I'm in the UK so there's no dealer network here either!
OK tried mine as well and mine is down to 57% and 306,800 miles! I got the same result. however I was able somehow to remove the fault codes.
I am wracking my brain to remember how I did it now. I have several scan tools on my mbl phone that connect via a USB Bluetooth dongle. Car Scanner and Torque OBD check are the main ones. I also have PHEV watchdog too on my Laptop with a usb OBD2 connector that may have cleared the codes.
I hope this helps?
Worst case buy a 2nd hand replacement pack, swap them over and sell the old pack (stating the problem) to someone who wants the batteries for a home battery pack project.

[/quote]
OK tried mine as well and mine is down to 57% and 306,800 miles! I got the same result. however I was able somehow to remove the fault codes.
I am wracking my brain to remember how I did it now. I have several scan tools on my mbl phone that connect via a USB Bluetooth dongle. Car Scanner and Torque OBD check are the main ones. I also have PHEV watchdog too on my Laptop with a usb OBD2 connector that may have cleared the codes.
I hope this helps?
Worst case buy a 2nd hand replacement pack, swap them over and sell the old pack (stating the problem) to someone who wants the batteries for a home battery pack project.
[/quote]

Hi wad2502
Thanks so much for the info, I'll have to look into it further, I really don't know much about the whole scan tool market, its so hard to work out which ones do what etc. All i know so far is the one i have doesn't!

And that is why kids, you should never use the ChaDeMo quick charging on your Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV.

I hope you will figure this out soon.

nrayanov said:
And that is why kids, you should never use the ChaDeMo quick charging on your Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV.

I hope you will figure this out soon.

Ain't that the truth! Thanks, still not really any further forward with it yet though.....

Good day everyone,

Same issue here. Plugged-in the Outlander PHEV to a Chademo charger for "fun" as the kid wanted to try last weekend and drove away with an "EV System Service Required" mode...

Tried to fully charge the traction battery overnight and unplugged the 12v battery today but the regression mode keep coming back every time I turn ignition on.

Taking the PHEV to the local Mitsu dealer tomorrow but wondered about the outcome of your "Chademo" adventure???

Back