Engine running for five minutes while on EV mode

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Appeleter

I couldn't find this problem in other threads, so I was hoping someone could help me out with my issues.

A few months ago, we bought a 2019 Outlander PHEV and quickly after, we found out that every time we use the car, the gas engine will turn on for approx. 5 minutes. No matter the temperature or if we have the heating on or not.
The dealership is telling us that the engine turns on because the motor needs to heat up, but it is even doing it when it's 10 degrees outside or if we just used the car and restart it.

We put the car in EV, Eco, and B5.

What could be the problem?

It could be the B5 if the battery is full.

Some of the newer models use the engine as a brake if the battery is full, and warm up the engine to make that available.

I'm sorry, I don't know when they started doing that.

It even does it when it's in drive or B1/2/3/4
No it is not the B and full battery issue. That's a thing only in newer models 2023-2024.

It is still cold here in Montreal and it is a well known complain for our PHEV. if you do an search you will find a lot of complains like that. Facebook is full of them.
At the end of winter even at 10C a lot of the owners complain that the engine is still kicking in. The battery is still cold especially mornings so you will see an improvement soon.
I had the same cold awakening the first winter after I bought my PHEV (second hand) and had to modify the vehicle in order to avoid the unwanted engine startup.

No it is not the B and full battery issue. That's a thing only in newer models 2023-2024.

It is still cold here in Montreal and it is a well known complain for our PHEV. if you do an search you will find a lot of complains like that. Facebook is full of them.
At the end of winter even at 10C a lot of the owners complain that the engine is still kicking in. The battery is still cold especially mornings so you will see an improvement soon.
I had the same cold awakening the first winter after I bought my PHEV (second hand) and had to modify the vehicle in order to avoid the unwanted engine startup.
Thank you for the reply.

What did you modify to avoid it?

Thank you for the reply.

What did you modify to avoid it?
I have installed an remote RF switch on main engine relay so I can shut it whenever I want.
You can try the effect by simply removing the relay... here is the moment for an disclaimer.
(one should take all responsibility by doing so, I just share my experience)
There will by multiple warnings and errors but they do not effect the drive-ability. The errors will go away once the relay is back. Some of the errors will get an day or so to clear.
Here are more details:
https://www.myoutlanderphev.com/thr...ick-in-heating-acceleration-cold.5451/#p57110

Back