Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Unwanted/needed engine start
PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:03 pm 

This may sound familiar, last year I created quite a stir by starting a new thread labeled "bad UI" I caught quite a bit of flack for several of my perceived quirks with this CUV.
While another year has firmed up my love of this car, the winter is bringing back out and highlighting the issues I have with it.
For clarity my commute is average in the USA it is 8 miles both ways, this combined with normal daily errands and weekend trips equals exactly 12000 miles per year. Like I said, dead average.
This being said there is no excuse whatsoever in the mild pacific northwest for the ICE to activate during the act of my normal commute.
But it does, allot :evil:
The last two mornings I have experienced a new, faulty ICE activation.

Full battery, 41 F, heater off, defroster off, EV mode, Eco mode, driver seat heat on high, fairly steep hill, normal to gentle throttle; 20KW demand.
Stupid engine starts! wastes gas, puts unnecessary wear on the ICE, makes me pullover and shut off car, makes me mad.
Why is this starting now? what is different?
If I don't pull over and shut engine off it will run needlessly for half of my commute.
Please help.

Post subject: Re: Unwanted/needed engine start
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:47 am 

sounds like you need psychiatric help rather than technical help. just accept that it does that and live with it. burn a bit of petrol. as for unnecessary wear on the ICE, that's just ridiculous. do you honestly believe that behaviour is going to prematurely wear it out before you've died of old age?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:18 am 

The engine will start if the car thinks the fuel in the tank is getting too old.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:15 am 

Just a tad dismissive there little scrote! :)

I'm going to throw out some solidarity here as I too get irritated when ICE kicks in when I feel it isn't needed. I'm not experiencing the problems OP is, just instances where I turn the heat up too much etc. I also have concerns about the impact to the engine, but that's in instances when i'm about 0.5mile from home with no EV left. Ultimately i'm too cheap to save the EV and run the ICE for longer so it is what it is.

UK MY16 4HS in Grey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:34 am 

Of course you get irritated when a computer outsmarts you. ;)

Body kit
Protection kit
TPMS
Skidplates

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:34 pm 

I've been having the exact same scenario as you... same temps, same settings and finding the engine wants to run for a little while. But, so far it also seems that if I've pre-warmed the car, it doesn't do it.

Pure speculation on my part, but I was thinking it had something to do with a cold battery pack not being able to discharge enough power should you need it?? So it runs the ICE and pushes current into the battery to help warm up the pack? I'm guessing the battery heater doesn't start until the car is started? But also takes some time to get heat into the battery? And so until the pack has reached a sufficient temp, it needs the help?

And then, does pre-warming the car and the act of using enough juice to pre-heat for 10 minutes also warm up the pack enough that it doesn't need to turn on the ICE and juice the pack?

Perhaps someone with more knowledge or cold weather experience can chime in on whether this might be the case? This is the first winter I've had the car. I'm on the west coast of Canada so not much of a winter over here. Typical lows are in the 40 to 50 F range.... but it has been a bit cooler than normal lately with overnight temps hitting freezing and my car sits in an open carport.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:31 am 

I also have been trying to avoid ICE-starts, and was generally successful by simply keeping the climate control system off. I'm on the west coast of Sweden with relatively mild winters, generally hovering around freezing (zero Celsius).

I recently installed the Phev Box that is made/sold by a company in Poland. The only change I made was to download their "alternative" mapping which makes the vehicle default to EV mode. My PHEV is a 2014 model, so I don't have the EV-button. I also installed the sensor-thing that is supposed to reduce ICE starts when using the heater.

I've only had it installed for about a week, and temperatures have been between -5 and +5 Celsius. If I pre-heat the cabin then it seems to work, i.e. the ICE doesn't start. But without pre-heating the ICE does start immediately and run for a minute or two: From what I can tell so far, the ICE shuts off when the heater is warm "enough", noticeable as the fan speed increases. The ICE does not start again after that.
(The higher the set cabin temperature the longer the ICE seems to run.)

One benefit of the box is that I no longer get unwanted ICE starts when pushing the pedal moderately hard - you have to really floor it to get the ICE to start.

It would be useful to know at what temperatures, interior and exterior, the ICE starts when using the heater in combination with the Phev Box - anyone here know?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:09 pm 

I find ice stays off most of time as long as I'm in eco, heater OFF, and light right foot.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:09 am 

Forgive me for asking, but I have never fully understood this, why on earth would you want to own a £35 - £50K car and then deliberately not heat the inside just to stop the heat source from starting? It’s a PHEV not a BEV. Your insights would be gratefully received.

GX3h+ From February 2016
Atlantic Grey
Based in Letchworth - 30K+ pa Company Car

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:29 am 

I live, work and mostly drive in Inner London, so air quality is a real matter of life or death issue for me (especially at my age). I also have a 3 sided carport into which my front door opens. I have no wish to suck exhaust fumes into the house every time I travel.