future purchase

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But at least ours comes with a hanging strap to take the weight. The early EV Mercs didn't - now that is poor design! :lol:

greendwarf said:
The issue was the earlier comment that suggested the standard charger is not designed to be used regularly (for which there is no evidence) not that some are poorly manufactured etc. and will fail (for which there is evidence) :roll:

I didn't say it was not DESIGNED for regular use, I said "Be aware that the granny chargers are not meant for regular charging" i.e. it is envisioned that most charging would be done by destination chargers with occasional use of the granny charger (hence the name).

If you want to use it every day, or even several times a day, I would suggest that is out of it's specified use case and you can probably expect problems from doing so, e.g. stressed cables, loose connections, loose plug and/or socket pins etc. I'm sure there will be some that are treated better than others and will not have long term issues, but that isn't to say that they all will. As someone said, you will get those that have smoked all their lives but don't have cancer - that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

I don't know where you've obtained the information that the standard charger is "not meant for regular use" - I can't find anything from Mitsubishi to support that. I'm aware that too much fast charging is not good for the battery and I understand Tesla monitor and will ultimately limit over-frequent use of their superchargers.

littlescrote said:
If you want to use it every day, or even several times a day, I would suggest that is out of it's specified use case and you can probably expect problems from doing so, e.g. stressed cables, loose connections, loose plug and/or socket pins etc. I'm sure there will be some that are treated better than others and will not have long term issues, but that isn't to say that they all will. As someone said, you will get those that have smoked all their lives but don't have cancer - that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

That list is also relevant for every electrical device used in home. Even some mobile phone chargers have burned. You have to keep an eye on plugs, sockets, cables and devices itself for wear, temperature, sound, shape and color. If they change you have to repair or renew them. The same happens with the car charger and also with charging stations. Nothing is everlasting (except taxes in Finland). As I have said before, the specs of the charging cable (technically the charger is in the car) and wall sockets allows regular use (if they are in good shape).

If you want a metaphor, it is more like candies or junk food. They will eventually make you fat which most likely causes problems (or even kill you). So you have to take care of yourself and keep yourself healthy.

littlescrote said:
greendwarf said:
The issue was the earlier comment that suggested the standard charger is not designed to be used regularly (for which there is no evidence) not that some are poorly manufactured etc. and will fail (for which there is evidence) :roll:

I didn't say it was not DESIGNED for regular use, I said "Be aware that the granny chargers are not meant for regular charging" i.e. it is envisioned that most charging would be done by destination chargers with occasional use of the granny charger (hence the name).

I know I'm old and may have missed the subtle change in the English language in the last 70 years but the difference between "designed", "meant for" and "out of it's specified use case" is not obvious to me and just sounds like sophistry.
BTW where do you get the term "granny charger" (an apparently meaningless term in itself, other than it is slower :idea: ) from? - not Mitsu, I'm sure.

I think the sooner I shuffle of this mortal coil and leave you all to wallow in this nonsense the better :lol:

Back