Fjpod

Oil life?

Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:38 am

I have a 2020 model. Bought it new in US. I'm wondering if I should adjust my oil change interval based on how much EV vs ICE driving I do.

Is there a way to determine this ratio?

(Aware that making changes might jeopardize warranty)
Previous prius and imiev owner.

mellobob

Re: Oil life?

Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:23 am

My understanding is that since the ICE is coming on fairly frequently for short(ish) periods you might need more frequent oil changes than you think. I try to follow something inbetween the recommended "regular" and "severe" intervals listed in the manual.

greendwarf

Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:10 am

Given the lower quality of NA engine oil - this isn't dig at you, but has been acknowledged over the years in numerous posts by your compatriots - it seems foolish to penny pinch on servicing when you have invested $40k+ in buying the car. The ICE is the most expensive item after the battery and like all mechanical components is liable to wear and tear. Mitsu would justifiably invalidate your warranty if you don't adhere to the servicing regime - which could get very expensive!

jaapv

Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:38 am

It appears to me that "penny wise pound foolish" is applicable.
especially as this is a car that is not very suitable for owner service.
Instyle 2019
Titanium Grey
Before:
Instyle+ 2013

littlescrote

Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:03 am

jaapv wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:38 am
It appears to me that "penny wise pound foolish" is applicable.
especially as this is a car that is not very suitable for owner service.
Why is it not suitable for owner service when that service is an oil (and filter) change?

greendwarf

Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:37 am

Nothing in particular, but DIY isn't recorded by Mitsu - so could impact on warranty claims. However, the OP was about extending the mileage between oil changes (presumably to save money) not DIY per se.

And the point arising from that - is any savings could be wiped out by problems resulting from the extended period (especially given the low quality of NA oil) and the potential loss of warranty cover, because 3rd party or DIY resolution will be difficult and/or expensive!

jaapv

Thu Oct 21, 2021 1:14 am

The mechanical part is easy enough, the same as any other car. The electrical part (which is half the car) requires maintenance in the form of updates as well, which an owner cannot provide. Nor has an owner access to the diagnostic software needed to check the car through at maintenance. And then there are the guarantee problems Greendwarf mentions, including the long guarantee on the battery. Plus the value loss on sale. A used car with no official service history is not worth much.
To add: this car does more cold starts requiring immediate power than an ICE one. Skimping on lubrication is not a good idea. The. intervals advised by Mitsubishi are based on the quality of the oil available in the specific market and are aimed at keeping the engine healthy.
Instyle 2019
Titanium Grey
Before:
Instyle+ 2013

littlescrote

Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:38 am

I would rather buy one that has regular maintenance more frequently than the service schedule done by the owner (with proof of receipts for oil and filters) than one with main dealer service at the specified interval.

greendwarf

Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:41 am

But would you buy one done LESS frequently than specified , as the OP was suggesting?

jaapv

Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:29 am

littlescrote wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:38 am
I would rather buy one that has regular maintenance more frequently than the service schedule done by the owner (with proof of receipts for oil and filters) than one with main dealer service at the specified interval.
I wouldn't as there would be no factory guaranty, nor does a receipt from Halfords provide any proof of a proper service done - you know, the one with the ticked boxes for all aspects checked etc.
And there would be no proof that the oil was actually used for an oil change.
About the same level as "only used by an old lady to drive to church" :roll:
Instyle 2019
Titanium Grey
Before:
Instyle+ 2013

Return to “General / Main Outlander PHEV Owners Forum”