greendwarf

Re: The fuel consumption of the PHEV and how I decrease it.

Does the Kuga have the ability to automatically "coast" and/or regen braking? I suspect you are falling into the trap of comparing an apple with a pear. :lol:
ThudnBlundr

oscarmax wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:22 amTrex I have been studying your post, we have recently brought a new 2.4 PHEV and tow a 1500kg caravan, the first time out in July we towed 180 miles, as were were very early and heard horror stories of 17mpg and turtle mode we set the speed limiter at 50 mph let the battery run down to 5 miles left, then use the charge button for a majority of the journey, the battery eventually recovered to 8 miles, we had no heating on weather about 15 degrees C we achieved 26.6 mpg.

On the way back it was raining hard 50% of the journey, we had to demist the windscreen, but travelled at 55 mph instead of 50, and left 40/45% charge in the battery ,our fuel consumption improved to 27.3.

On the journey down we messed around with B2/B5 on the way back we left in in B5
The PHEV is quite highly geared in parallel mode in what is effectively 5th or 6th gear for a 'normal' car. So driving more slowly may well be causing the ICE to labour a bit, affecting the economy. There will be a speed where it is most efficient while towing, and it certainly sounds like it is above 50mph. As an educated guess, I would say it was somewhere between 55-60mph.
2015 GX4hs since 03/18
2015 Renault Zoe R240 owner since 11/17

You may have speed, but I have momentum...Image
oscarmax

greendwarf wrote: Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:25 am Does the Kuga have the ability to automatically "coast" and/or regen braking? I suspect you are falling into the trap of comparing an apple with a pear. :lol:
The Ford Kuga uses the PSA Peugeot/Citroen 2 litre diesel power unit , it is good bench marker to base a comparison, even Mitsubishi highlight the PHEV when the battery is depleted is out of it comfort zone and will perform as the petrol equivalent, 40 mpg is respectable for any PHEV diesel or petrol.
Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV Design 2020 Towing a Swift Conqueror 480 2016 1500kg

Please be patient I suffered a brain injury several years ago and get confused at times
oscarmax

ThudnBlundr wrote: Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:47 am
oscarmax wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:22 amTrex I have been studying your post, we have recently brought a new 2.4 PHEV and tow a 1500kg caravan, the first time out in July we towed 180 miles, as were were very early and heard horror stories of 17mpg and turtle mode we set the speed limiter at 50 mph let the battery run down to 5 miles left, then use the charge button for a majority of the journey, the battery eventually recovered to 8 miles, we had no heating on weather about 15 degrees C we achieved 26.6 mpg.

On the way back it was raining hard 50% of the journey, we had to demist the windscreen, but travelled at 55 mph instead of 50, and left 40/45% charge in the battery ,our fuel consumption improved to 27.3.

On the journey down we messed around with B2/B5 on the way back we left in in B5
The PHEV is quite highly geared in parallel mode in what is effectively 5th or 6th gear for a 'normal' car. So driving more slowly may well be causing the ICE to labour a bit, affecting the economy. There will be a speed where it is most efficient while towing, and it certainly sounds like it is above 50mph. As an educated guess, I would say it was somewhere between 55-60mph.
Being new to PHEV's this all a bit of a steep learning curve for me, I have been following some of Trex posting which make interesting reading and a mindful of information. Now from experience towing at 55 mph I now have a better understand the engine and systems torque, and yes I am finding it is better at 55 - 60 mph towing.

The most interesting of Trex graphs is the power output supping from the motors with 30% plus battery and how it tails of above 50% to 80%. I am out with the caravan in September and will aim for 40/50% battery before using charge mode and B5 to get maximum regeneration. I will use the charge up at roundabouts and built up areas.

I am going to try for 28 mpg now the PHEV has loosened up with 2000 miles under it belt.
Mitsubishi Outlander 2.4 PHEV Design 2020 Towing a Swift Conqueror 480 2016 1500kg

Please be patient I suffered a brain injury several years ago and get confused at times
greendwarf

Yep - as I thought, can't tell the difference between an apple and a pear. :?
oscarmax

greendwarf wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:46 am Yep - as I thought, can't tell the difference between an apple and a pear. :?
Sorry Greendwarf I suffered a brain injury a few years ago and don't understand your post

ThudnBlundr

oscarmax wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:25 am
greendwarf wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:46 am Yep - as I thought, can't tell the difference between an apple and a pear. :?
Sorry Greendwarf I suffered a brain injury a few years ago and don't understand your post
+1
2015 GX4hs since 03/18
2015 Renault Zoe R240 owner since 11/17

You may have speed, but I have momentum...Image
greendwarf

oscarmax was dismissive of the suggestion that a difference in altitude could explain a change in fuel consumption on a round trip - something I can confirm from regular personal experience for even small variations - by comparison with a Kuga. He was equally dismissive of my reservation about using a car with no coasting or regen as a benchmark. Even if valid at a steady speed on the flat (despite any difference in drag coefficient) under no load (decelerating) the Kuga's continually running engine is likely to show little reduction in fuel consumption - i.e. an apple against a pear.
oscarmax

greendwarf wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:45 am oscarmax was dismissive of the suggestion that a difference in altitude could explain a change in fuel consumption on a round trip - something I can confirm from regular personal experience for even small variations - by comparison with a Kuga. He was equally dismissive of my reservation about using a car with no coasting or regen as a benchmark. Even if valid at a steady speed on the flat (despite any difference in drag coefficient) under no load (decelerating) the Kuga's continually running engine is likely to show little reduction in fuel consumption - i.e. an apple against a pear.
Sorry your still confusing me I obviously do not have your cerebral capacity, mine is quite limited, what do you suggest a bench mark ?

Return to “General / Main Outlander PHEV Owners Forum”