3-pin charger to commando socket converter

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sokratesagogo

Hi chaps,

While waiting for delivery of our new PHEV, I am trying to sort out the cables I will require day to day. So, a couple of questions:

1) I work at Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge, and looking at the ZapMap live it looks like there are 10 7kw 32A 1-phase AC commando sockets in our brand spanking new car-park. Being completely clueless when it comes to anything to do with electricity, would I be able to use a commando to 3pin 13a socket converter - for example this one on amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/HDIUK-commando-converter-enviroments-industrial/dp/B0035GNSO6

2. We would like to occasionally make use of the Ecotricity charger points at the A14 Cambridge services - are these equipped with tethered cables (meaning I don't have to buy one)?

Many thanks is advance :)

1) Regulo's adapter is OK, but may not suit all sockets, the cable option you selected is better, however be warned that the 13A connection will not be waterproof...

2) yes, a massive, heavy, tethered cable with a connector on the end that makes you feel like you are about to power up an X-Wing fighter is provided...

sokratesagogo said:
:x
2. We would like to occasionally make use of the Ecotricity charger points at the A14 Cambridge services - are these equipped with tethered cables (meaning I don't have to buy one)?

When using the rapid charger make sure you read instructions first as they are not straightforward especially in the dark :roll:

I would suggest you check out the charging points before you buy any adaptor, if the charging points are as you have suggested 32 amp commando type outlets they are different in size to the 16 amp sockets and I am not too sure you can get an adaptor to suit.
The commando type outlets are used for refrigerated vehicles when they are parked up and I don't think they are in use for EV vehicles.
As mentioned before be very careful using extension leads in ensuring a waterproof connection.

Thanks to all for your useful advice. I'll eyeball the charging stations next week and create a new thread in the regional section for anyone visiting Addenbrookes in the future!

Cheers,
Sok

Basically one finds three types of charging points
1. Simply providing a plug (three pronged 13 A in the UK) which connects to the charging unit supplied with the car
2. A regular 16 A charging station, which connects through a Mennekes Type 1 - type 2 cable This cable may be included by your friendly dealer or you can buy one of the many offerings on the Internet. I could hardly charge the car at all without one on the Continent, except at private homes.
3. A fast 32 A charger which has a tethered cable that plugs into the CHAdeMO connector of the car. Note that Mitsubishi discourages regular fast charging, as that may shorten battery life.

Back