AC not workin in hot days!!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mdejon

Hi everyone! After a looong imported process, i got my outlander Phev.
The car Is amazing and since there is no eletric cars in Brazil, i feel like a consultant explaining how the car works in the streets.. But i enjoy every moment, I am a very satisfied customer. But I guess i found a problem, and the dealer could'nt help, hope find someone here can help me (sorry about my rusty english).

I live in Rio de Janeiro, and the temperatures are very high, but when the termometer get above 40 celsius, the air conditioning stop cooling, the vent almost stops,(just when i needed it the most) and return only when i go to someplace cooler. Is this a problem or the car is trying to cool the bateries??

Thanks.

Hi Mdejon and welcome !

In France we have had an heat wave last July (38 to 39 C very often) : no cooling problem inside the car.
But maybe the moisture is much higher in Rio? (never gone in your beautiful country...)

Here in Aus, I have driven my PHEV in 40+ temps often. Aircon is not as effective at higher temps, but still worked. My PHEV has dark window tint all round with highest legal ratings, so this may be helping.

Thanks for the feedback. yes in Rio is very hot and Humidity aldo high!!. Today is happens again, the air was colling at maximum. all of a sudden, only 1 point in the vent. Still running but very low. But the termometer was marking 49 in traficc at downtown. Well I guess Mitsubishi could test the new cars here.. kkk.

There is battery cooling system, with its own liquid circulation pump, and even OBD2 PID for monitoring operation.

You may find it useful to purchase the "EvBatMon" app for Android, and a WiFi OBD adapter and check the maximum battery cell temperatures and see if there is any correlation with the operation of the aircon.

I am skeptical that that the aircon would divert a refrigerative cooling function from the cabin to the battery. This would be a significant feature and would be mentioned in advertising, but I have not seen any.

Have just been out and the ambient was around 44C while driving. No problems with aircon.

Battery temp was checked with EvBatMon. and max temp reached was 35C. IGBT module temp was recorded at 45C. Passenger compartment was set to 23C and was very comfortable. Battery has a large mass and it is possible that the temp was still rising in it after starting at a lower temp from overnight.

Can't confirm 49C temps, so it is still possible there is some safety system taking control that I am unable to replicate today.

ICE temp peaked at 100C climbing up the steep hill on my drive home. Unfortunately there are still some OBD2 PID that don't provide data. Did manage to use half the battery capacity on this drive, so was not just a petrol run.

In fact the baterry was about 10% and i was in charge mode. This could contribute to increase the batery temp. I will try next time to save about 50% the batery and do not engage charge mode during the trafic and hot days. See that works and dont afect the AC.

Generally a battery temp increases when recharged. It is only under extreme discharge that the internal resistance will contribute to an increase in temperature.

Still best to recharge slowly from a power cord and start with as full a battery as possible before driving.

Mdejon said:
In fact the baterry was about 10% and i was in charge mode. This could contribute to increase the batery temp. I will try next time to save about 50% the batery and do not engage charge mode during the trafic and hot days. See that works and dont afect the AC.

At 49c with only 10% battery perhaps the power drain was more than could be replaced by use of Charge (also depending on driving requirements) so putting the car into protect mode :idea: :?:

I don't believe the OP has any OBD instrumentation and the 10% referred to is around 2 bars on the gauge. This could be closer to 35-40% real %SOC, and not that close to where the PHEV would start to interfere with the drivers demands.

gwatpe said:
I don't believe the OP has any OBD instrumentation and the 10% referred to is around 2 bars on the gauge. This could be closer to 35-40% real %SOC, and not that close to where the PHEV would start to interfere with the drivers demands.

A reasonable assumption, I agree, but we don't know the margins built in by Mitsu. So, has anyone else had experience of temps that high to confirm?

However, the UK manual (page 2-09) describes limitations to both driving and charging are possibly seen when the temp is above 45c and suggests you need to stop driving. :eek: This suggests to me that what the OP is seeing IS outside the design parameters for the car. This would not be surprising given the legal problems Nissan had with the Leaf in the US because of lack of battery protection against excessive heat. :oops:

PS. Happy New Year

gwatpe said:
There is battery cooling system, with its own liquid circulation pump, and even OBD2 PID for monitoring operation.

You may find it useful to purchase the "EvBatMon" app for Android, and a WiFi OBD adapter and check the maximum battery cell temperatures and see if there is any correlation with the operation of the aircon.

I am skeptical that that the aircon would divert a refrigerative cooling function from the cabin to the battery. This would be a significant feature and would be mentioned in advertising, but I have not seen any.

But there is only one common compressor and one common condenser, isn't it? ;)

Back