Advice to a newbie!

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meek

Hi all!

I'm new here and I'm very impressed about all knowledge in this forum!

I'm getting my Outlander PHEV Fleet Edition (company lease) in a couple of weeks and it would be nice to get some advice from experienced people! :)

Compare to a regular car, are there any other routines to think about except to remember to put in the charging cable? (at the moment I drive a VW Passat 2013)

Other stuff on my mind are:
- How to use the wifi and the app the best way (routine for preheating and charging etc) - any difference between Iphone and android? (Live in Sweden so I will use it a lot!)
- How to preheat on a distance? (is Autoapps.no's "Outlander PHEV SMS Remote Control" the best solution?)

I know I can find plenty of tips & tricks all over this forum but maybe you guys can help out a confused newbie as me and sum up the most common and important routines and hacks for everyday use? :)

Cheers!

1. Read the manual - yes it is an huge confused lump of information interspersed with frequent silly warnings, but everything is there.
2. Mitsubishi designed the car to make it as close to driving a standard automatic as possible. My advice would be to simply get in, drive off, and adapt you routines over the weeks/months as you see fit for your needs. Personally I never use the WiFi app.

A question like this will make our members- me included- mount their hobbyhorses and the resulting carrousel will make your head spin. Better to ask your questions as you encounter them. The car has so many aspects, after two years + I am still discovering details.

Hi
Its not like an a normal ICE car where you just buy and start driving a b or c. You will have to know your car , apply some thoughts as you go. You 've got a lot of material from forum which will help. I did 28 miles today and have 4 miles left after overnight charge which showed 33 miles EV. This by own experience . Somedays only 24.

meek said:
Hi all!

I'm new here and I'm very impressed about all knowledge in this forum!

I'm getting my Outlander PHEV Fleet Edition (company lease) in a couple of weeks and it would be nice to get some advice from experienced people! :)

Compare to a regular car, are there any other routines to think about except to remember to put in the charging cable? (at the moment I drive a VW Passat 2013)

Other stuff on my mind are:
- How to use the wifi and the app the best way (routine for preheating and charging etc) - any difference between Iphone and android? (Live in Sweden so I will use it a lot!)
- How to preheat on a distance? (is Autoapps.no's "Outlander PHEV SMS Remote Control" the best solution?)

I know I can find plenty of tips & tricks all over this forum but maybe you guys can help out a confused newbie as me and sum up the most common and important routines and hacks for everyday use? :)
Cheers!
It would be helpful to know: how long is your regular commute (assuming you have one)? Motorway speeds for some/all of it? While it is true that you can just drive it and not worry about such things, it might be that we can help fine tune your journey!

Kesto said:
Hi
Its not like an a normal ICE car where you just buy and start driving a b or c. You will have to know your car , apply some thoughts as you go. You 've got a lot of material from forum which will help. I did 28 miles today and have 4 miles left after overnight charge which showed 33 miles EV. This by own experience . Somedays only 24.

Beg to differ there... you CAN just get in and drive it.....you don't even have to charge it if you don't want to :D

Kesto said:
Hi
Its not like an a normal ICE car where you just buy and start driving a b or c. You will have to know your car , apply some thoughts as you go.
Well, that is exactly what I did in January 2014, and without any problem, and what my wife does regularly. She loves driving it, though, and gets a better range than I do without bothering about any Forum tricks.
In the beginning the Dutch importer offered a day course in "how to drive it" but stopped doing so after a while, as there was no need.

I agree, we just treat ours like a normal car.
The only thing we do is always plug it in when we get home and unplug it when we go out, even when we're only home for a couple of hours thus maximising the battery usage as cheaper fuel for the next journey.
We don't preheat (don't need it in the UK in our experience down in the balmy south west!) or use timers and gave up the app.
Have also disabled the wifi due to recent concerns about alarm tampering.
Just drive it like an auto and enjoy, it is a great car!

When I embark on trips > estimated battery range, I use the navigator to keep track on how far I have to my destination. Usually run on battery until I hit the highway and then press Save (usually down to 20 - 25 km battery left). As I start getting close(r) to my destination, I "release" the Save button when I have 2-3 km more on the battery range indicator than left to my destination (that usually have a charging point). That way, I end up at my destination with (close to) zero battery left. I always run in Eco mode, and never use the AC while running on battery. The Eco-indicator that shows as I switch off always show all leaves in green.
Other than that, it's just to put it in Drive and (gently) press the accelerator - And off you go!

MatsH said:
Usually run on battery until I hit the highway and then press Save (usually down to 20 - 25 km battery left).
(I know I am repeating myself, but as long as people keep suggesting to drive around with more SOC than needed, I may keep doing so ;) )

Driving around with a battery charge of more than approx. 50% on the dashboard (approx. 65% real) negatively impacts the efficiency of the car. It may be just a bit, but still. Because of this, it would be better to let SOC drop quite a bit further before engaging SAVE mode. I usually let EV range drop to how much I need for my final low speed stretch, or even let it drop to 0 and then regain it before leaving the motorway.

Thanks for all replies!

I'm quite the typical person for this kind of car I think. An ordinary family with 2 small kids, living in a house 15 km from Gothenburg where we work.
The car will probably be used for around 20 km during work hours and then back home again. Often no motorway speeds at all.

Oh...the manual...the book I HATE to read but probably is a must to read! :)

If you don't use the app for preheating the car a cold winter morning with ice on the windscreen...what do you do instead?

When I get new stuff I can get quite nerdy and read everything I can get a hold on (except the manual) so this forum will be my evening activity if I know myself correct... :D

Please feel free to share tips and tricks (in words or with links) for a guy like me...it's appreciated!

Cheers!

I use the timer. I leave at regular times. Besides, the winters have become so miserably like extended autumns that I only had to scrape my windscreen twice this year...:(

I posted this elsewhere on this forum on a 600km round trip.

Negligible wind/altitude differences.

Trip there.
Battery full when departed. Temp. about 17C. Climate set at auto 22.5C and not touched. ACC not used. Feathered accelerator to keep in green zone as much as possible. Used B0-B5 as much as possible. Battery to 40% before hitting save. Resaved battery after descents. Did not use charge mode. Arrived at destination with 1 bar on battery. Fuel used 6.8l/100km

Trip back.
Battery full when departed. Temp about 18C. Climate set to 22.5 and not touched. Used ACC as much as possible and just left the car to do its thing, no save, no charge, no B0-B5 and just D. Arrived home with no bar showing on battery. 5.8l/100km.

meek said:
If you don't use the app for preheating the car a cold winter morning with ice on the windscreen...what do you do instead?

Scrape it if you have a Gx3h :lol:

greendwarf said:
meek said:

Of course...you can always do it old school! :D
But after a try to scrape like 5 mm of pure ice from hell for a couple a years ago, with plenty of scratches as result on my Kia Ceed, I promised myself to never scrape again!! :twisted:

The car came yesterday, earlier than announced...how often does that happen!?

All looking good and it´s really awesome to drive on EV!

I chose the "cheap" Fleet Edition with the small info screen...it felt like using a cellphone from 2003! :D
I just had a quick look yesterday...before I really start digging in the manual, any tips and tricks how to use it the best way and get the best settings in your opinion?

Cheers!

Delivering a car early is a common trick used by car dealers if you are trading in an old car for the new one. That makes the risk of you selling the old car privately less likely.

The dealer often gives you a low price on your trade in and you might think for yourself that you'll give it a try selling the car yourself on the side instead when planned delivery of the new car is near. Then all of a sudden the car shows up early and the easy way out is the sell the car to the dealer to be able to pick the new one up instantly(because you are eager to get the new one). The dealer wins and gets your old car for cheap.

meek said:
greendwarf said:
meek said:

Of course...you can always do it old school! :D
But after a try to scrape like 5 mm of pure ice from hell for a couple a years ago, with plenty of scratches as result on my Kia Ceed, I promised myself to never scrape again!! :twisted:

Ah. but for me using the scraper finally got rid of the overspray on the screen left by the dealer's bodyshop repair paint job :lol:

So...the Audio Display is not something you hang in your Christmas tree!
I didn't expect that cool info as the Energy Monitor and other EV related stuff was missing in the cheap "non"-infotainment version...isn't that kind of stuff the selling point of this car?
Basically no settings at all so I must use the app to play around with the vehicle settings and it's slow as hell!

However...I've to get EvBatMon...and if there is anyone that have done an alternative to the PHEV app I'm really interested!! :)

Other stuff I need? :)

The Energy monitor and the EV stuff is fun for abut 5 minutes when the car new, after that you'll never use it.

Back