Aftermarket Tow bars/NHS fleet solutions

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abitinga

I've just been quoted £565 plus vat for a removable bar plus 13 pin fitted by the dealer. Can anyone recommend somewhere cheaper and will fleet solutions allow you to fit non genuine parts/accessories or is it a no no I'm in Birmingham

Mitsubishi fit the witter tow bar which you can buy from below, fitting of both the electrics and tow bar should be no more than 2 hours garage labour so around Birmingham this will be about £80 - £100

Fleet should be fine with this install as it is the same as the dealer fit - exactly the same... Only difference is you would want the 13pin as I only needed the 7pin

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290851018449?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

13pin
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Towbar-El...547?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3f221e9263

7pin
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290862311482?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I had a local tow bar company fit a tow bar with vehicle specific wiring but not the mitsubishi original and fleet solutions were fine about it. They emailed me a list of criteria which had to be satisfied and it is relatively Loose ie must be type approved etc. Contact Geoffrey Smith at fleet solutions he will help.

My tow bar is on its way and I am going to get it wired up professionally
Looking on here folk say the pain is getting the cable to the 12v battery at the front
Mine is in the boot. Is this just on late cars ? Mine came on Friday :D

Hi, I'm from Portugal and I'm also looking for a towbar that fits my 2014 Outlander PHEV. Mitsubishi official dealer tried to sell me a original kit for 1380€ (detachable) vs. 890€ (fixed)!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

After I checked rkde post i was quite surprised with the prices on eBay. Are those truly the same as the genuine accessorie towbar kit? Also I'd like you to enlighten me the differences between 7 pin vs. 13 pin electrics

Thanks in advance!

I think, outside of the UK, you have been using 13 pin trailer electrics for longer than us?
If you want to have a reversing light (requirement on new trailers) and the ability to charge a caravan's batteries / equipment using 1 connector then you need 13 pin electrics.
If you have 7 pin connectors then you have to have 2 connectors ("N"&"S") on the car and trailer to make it work with reverse and charging.

You can get adapters to go from one system to the other.

Hi fellow PHEV owners, does the fitting of the witter tow bar require a bumper cut in any way. I intend to pull a lightweight 900kg caravan, a simple question, will the Outlander PHEV deal with this weight, because I am dubious about it's capability's to be 100% honest, any one tow on here who could advise me please.

Angel.

Angelfire said:
Hi fellow PHEV owners, does the fitting of the witter tow bar require a bumper cut in any way. I intend to pull a lightweight 900kg caravan, a simple question, will the Outlander PHEV deal with this weight, because I am dubious about it's capability's to be 100% honest, any one tow on here who could advise me please.

Angel.
Can't say about the tow bar but I pull a 1300kg caravan with no problem.

Dealer fitted Witter towbar and no cuts.
As for towing capability I am going to be brutally honest here towing with the PHEV is dire on anything other than the level or gentle slopes, I tow a Ifor Williams 84 general duty trailer, trailer weighs just under .5t empty with load capacity of 1t never fully loaded no more that 1t gross at any time and on anything other than level ground or gentle inclines the Outlander struggles screaming its guts out with no acceleration at all, I have tried all modes but the transmission never seems to lock in any way it is the equivalent of having a completely knackered clutch in a standard vehicle, I have spoken to the main dealer who has confirmed that this is a characteristic of the vehicle.
I tow the same trailer with a Nissan Juke with a CVT gearbox with no problem at all.
My advice would be that if you want to tow a caravan with the PHEV do not tour any of the parts of the UK with steep hills stick to Norfolk and Lincolnshire.

Back