Algea, green stuff, in rear lights.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum

Help Support Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikehep

Hi there
Live in a very clean air area. Have HD rear lights out twice (64 plate) on frost white. Build up of green stuff. Yuk. Tried cleaning, near impossible. Have a holiday home with a upvc deck and also shows green stuff. Tried, diluted a product called Patio Magic bought from Amazon. Took lights out, used cap from bottle, gently poured it in and around. 3 days later, lights are clear and sparkling. Might try to do it next time whilst lights still on the car. Bottom side of lights might mean I need to take them off.

Hi wrested on,
As its a faff to take lights out, oh so so carful due to clips at the front end, I just trickled diluted fluid in. Diluted, it's lasted 3 months on deck at home, but deck is 24/7 accessible without us bolting, teasing out and breathing a sigh when nothing falls off. I suppose you could try with a fine tipped syringe but might find it hard to get into up parts. BTW, within 24 hours, the green had gone. Such a bloody design fault.
If you're taking out the first time, the wiring to the rear lights look like a Fawltey Towers attempt. Take care and g e n t l y prise things apart.

Hi west Devon
As its a faff to take lights out, oh so so carful due to clips at the front end, I just trickled diluted fluid in. Diluted, it's lasted 3 months on deck at home, but deck is 24/7 accessible without us bolting, teasing out and breathing a sigh when nothing falls off. I suppose you could try with a fine tipped syringe but might find it hard to get into up parts. BTW, within 24 hours, the green had gone. Such a bloody design fault.
If you're taking out the first time, the wiring to the rear lights look like a Fawltey Towers attempt. Take care and g e n t l y prise things apart.

When I was having my towbar fitted, they had to remove the rear lights. I checked mine and they are completely clear of any growth inside the units. There is a vent hole at the bottom inside face of the light units which would help keep any moisture to a minimum - algae would seem to like steamy unventilated areas? Do yours have a vent?

Jeff

On mine its the outer edges. Theres a cm or 2 of plastic thats outside the seal. You cant really get anything in there to clean them properly either. I'll try some cleaning fluid, I'm just a bit nervous about to what degree I should dilute the stuff. I dont want to do any paint stripping :eek:

In my case its a feature of where I live, it can be very wet here and pretty much everything gets algified in the winter.

Hi All,

My rear left light does suffer from the algae/green stuff issue and I will need to clean it at some point.

Westdevon - have you been able to clear your outer edges? Any further advice?

I think the only real way to make sure it is cleaned, will be to remove the rear lights which I might attempt and hopefully not break anything.

Cheers

Just changed from 3H to 4HS, same age car. Old one had horrible greenness from algae around back lights, new one is clean as a whistle. Will keep an eye on them to see if it creeps in, an artifact of parking under conifers?

Back